HERALD 1200 ENGINE STOPS RUNNING

I've suddenly got this problem when the engine was running great like to Gaydon. I went to a garden centre about a mile and a half with no

problems. On leaving the car park it stalled a couple of times then i turned into the road and the engine stopped again. It would start then

after about 5 seconds it would stop. I had a look and could not see anything wrong, fuel in the tank and in the filter. A passing mechanic

stopped and had a tinker but he couldn't sort it. Has anyone had this problem or can give me a starting place to sort it out.

Maybe coil has failed , or if you’re running on points , they may have closed or opened or the condenser failed,   Maybe the fuel pump has silt in it or is weak  it could be anything really but is either ignition or fuel, if you have fuel to the carb then it’s likely ignition 

Edited by Wendy Dawes

I would be looking to the ignition. One (or even 4) of the cheap spark test thingies can be invaluable. Picture 2 of 7then if no spark at the plugs, test the lead from the coil to dizzy. If a spark, the coil is Ok. You can then delve into the dizzy and see what is what. A very common issue are rotor arms, especially those with a rivet. Distributor doctor sells quality items, so worth a call.  Check the cap for damage, and if on points the faces are good and correctly gapped. If the faces are poor, it may be the condensor (again, lots of poor ones out there, DD is the man) Or if electronic, it could be the module. The powerspark/accuspark ones can and do fail, often straight out of the box. 

I took the fuel pump off today. The filter inside had a little bit of black stuff on it so I cleaned that up. I checked the membrane and it was good, no splits, so I put that back. Tomorrow I'll check the electrics as best I can and hope cleaning and any adjustments will help. I've had problems with the carb' and its been rebuilt four times, the last by Dale and tuned up and she's been fine. I don't know if anything got in and is blocking a jet. It makes me think of buying a new one.

At the National Weekend I had misfire issues, that got progressively worse and it turned out to be not one but two coils failing... not totally but enough to make the spark weak... you might want to look at that

1 hour ago, 65redspit said:

At the National Weekend I had misfire issues, that got progressively worse and it turned out to be not one but two coils failing... not totally but enough to make the spark weak... you might want to look at that

Oh good grief. What brand were they?

I have a fear of new coils for this very reason, especially now Bosch have stopped producing their coils. I have just fitted my 30 year old Lucas sports coil to my Dolly, and I would like to find a reliable spare. Maybe just get another old one from an autojumble, they never used to be an issue.

3 hours ago, Clive said:

Oh good grief. What brand were they?

I have a fear of new coils for this very reason, especially now Bosch have stopped producing their coils. I have just fitted my 30 year old Lucas sports coil to my Dolly, and I would like to find a reliable spare. Maybe just get another old one from an autojumble, they never used to be an issue.

It's not stamped on them but I got them from H&H Ignition so I had expected them to be of high quality... so much for carrying a spare !!

1 hour ago, 65redspit said:

It's not stamped on them but I got them from H&H Ignition so I had expected them to be of high quality... so much for carrying a spare !!

Bad batch?