Twin Su issues!

Daniel Maslin

Hello, my name is Dan and I've just bought a 1971 mk4 spitfire. 

After getting it delivered home I havw got it to fire (dirty plugs lol) however fuel is "pouring" from where the needle goes into the needle seat. Needle looks absolutely fine and ive blown the needle seat out with an airline so no debris stuck in there. Any ideas on what may be causing my issue? Many thanks

20240725_130107.jpg

Edited by Daniel Maslin

20 minutes ago, Daniel Maslin said:

fuel is "pouring" from where the needle goes into the needle seat

Do you mean from the overflow drain on the top of the float chamber, just under where the hose(s) attach?

One carb or both?  Have you checked whether the float has anything in it? Occasionally they spring a leak and don’t float properly….

20 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Do you mean from the overflow drain on the top of the float chamber, just under where the hose(s) attach?

One carb or both?  Have you checked whether the float has anything in it? Occasionally they spring a leak and don’t float properly….

Both carbs have the same issue, one worse then the other. 

Had the float chamber apart but didn't test if the float had a leak, I will test that thankyou. I did check that when in the full position the valve didn't allow air to pass through and it didn't so I'm assuming the valve is atleast closing correctly and sealing? 

Is it a new (ish) fuel pump? They have a reputation for producing too high a pressure and overcoming the float valves. 

It is possible to use a pressure regulator set to 2psi, or I heard a stack of pump gaskets a few mm thick will do the trick (not tried that. But I would probbaly make a spacer from ali or steel to try)

33 minutes ago, Clive said:

Is it a new (ish) fuel pump? They have a reputation for producing too high a pressure and overcoming the float valves. 

It is possible to use a pressure regulator set to 2psi, or I heard a stack of pump gaskets a few mm thick will do the trick (not tried that. But I would probbaly make a spacer from ali or steel to try)

Just so I've got it right, could it be the over coming of the float that's causing the fuel to leak from the place I circled? 

10 hours ago, Daniel Maslin said:

Just so I've got it right, could it be the over coming of the float that's causing the fuel to leak from the place I circled? 

No pic attached.

But out of the overflows, yes. 

Ah, that may be down to float levels. Looks like fuel level is too high. And surprised it isn't coming out from the overflow tubes on the top of the float chambers.

If you are able I would try spacing the pump off the block 3mm (and maybe 5mm) to see if that fixes the issue. Assuming the needle valves are not ridged/worn, which you say they are not.