Keith

DSkey

I have a remote controlled relay which triggers a 12v solenoid running a yacht windlass (12v 1000W)

The contacts on the small relay in the remote unit keeps burning out / welding shut. 

I assume this is back emf from the big solenoid sparking across the small relay contacts.

I think I need a snubber capacitor across the small relay contacts - But I have no idea what to use??

Any advice welcome - thanks

1 hour ago, DSkey said:

I have a remote controlled relay which triggers a 12v solenoid running a yacht windlass (12v 1000W)

The contacts on the small relay in the remote unit keeps burning out / welding shut. 

I assume this is back emf from the big solenoid sparking across the small relay contacts.

I think I need a snubber capacitor across the small relay contacts - But I have no idea what to use??

Not sure you have joined the right forum. We are for Triumph cars.

Maybe try posting on allaboutcircuits.com.  There are a host of experts who are very helpful.  You will be asked to provide details of the components and probably a schematic.  It could just be that you need to put a diode in parallel with the relay and/or the solenoid to short circuit the large reverse voltage when the current stops flowing 

23 hours ago, DSkey said:

Keep your fingers out of the way !!!