Vitesse Steering UJ Issue

garyf

Hi All

I've recently bought a nice Mk2 Vitesse and have an issue with play in the steering.

I've identified it's the lower steering coupling/UJ that's worn and one of the reasons for the excessive play.

I think I have 3 options available to me as follows:-

1. Replace with a reproduction part £42 from TD Fitchett's (I've heard they don't last though due to the poor quality of todays rubber!).

2. Replace with one of the revised FAM1718 UJ's (Again, I've read they can catch the Suspension tower and you have to grind/file some metal off, not ideal)

3. Re-bush the original with a Superflex kit (Possibly the best option but the cost of 8 little bushes/washers seems excessive).

Anyone on here done this recently and what's the best option.

Gary 

Edited by garyf

15 hours ago, garyf said:

Hi All

I've recently bought a nice Mk2 Vitesse and have an issue with play in the steering.

I've identified it's the lower steering coupling/UJ that's worn and one of the reasons for the excessive play.

I think I have 3 options available to me as follows:-

1. Replace with a reproduction part £42 from TD Fitchett's (I've heard they don't last though due to the poor quality of todays rubber!).

2. Replace with one of the revised FAM1718 UJ's (Again, I've read they can catch the Suspension tower and you have to grind/file some metal off, not ideal)

3. Re-bush the original with a Superflex kit (Possibly the best option but the cost of 8 little bushes/washers seems excessive).

Anyone on here done this recently and what's the best option.

Gary 

It is possible to fit a solid UJ without cutting etc, or at least I have a few times. However, one I fitted had a huge amount of play fresh out of the box, it was dreadful. So if you go this route, find a reputable supplier. I thing the spline diameter is 9/16, there are several different sizes. The good ones I have used have been excellent.

The poly kit is a good solution, I have done that on 2 cars, one was on for donkeys years/daily use with no issues, but don't take that as a guarantee. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2024 at 07:46, Clive said:

It is possible to fit a solid UJ without cutting etc, or at least I have a few times. However, one I fitted had a huge amount of play fresh out of the box, it was dreadful. So if you go this route, find a reputable supplier. I thing the spline diameter is 9/16, there are several different sizes. The good ones I have used have been excellent.

The poly kit is a good solution, I have done that on 2 cars, one was on for donkeys years/daily use with no issues, but don't take that as a guarantee. 

Clive

I'm still undecided on what to do, I've been advised that the solid ones will transmit more road noise up the column, I've got a wooden Motolita wheel fitted so that will not absorb any road shocks.

I've had someone else tell me the quality of some of the replacement solid UJ's is poor, not good for such a critical part of the car!

I suppose fitting the supaflex bushes to an original one is the way to go, a job for the winter when the cars off the road I reckon.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Gary

• Like 1