Battery supplier and alternator fit

Matt1631

Can anyone recommend a battery supplier for a 1969 Mk3 Spitfire and also can anyone comment on the benefits of fitting an alternator and how difficult this is please?

My Spit currently just has the original dynamo but I am considering fitting an alternator, pros and cons?

For batteries I have been using Halfords HB063, but I have a tradecard so price is good. 

063 batteries fit, but the terminals are near teh bulkhead, still the correct way round so battery leads fit. In addition, terminals near the bulkhead mean they are away from the battery clamp. 

Alternators are a bit more efficient, and charge a battery faster. But if the dynamo is working, I would leave it.

To fit an alternator teh first issue is finding a quality item, there are so many poor quality repro or "recon" ones sold (record for me was a new Lucas recon lasting about 150 miles) 

Ideally a later spitfire mounting bracketry. The control box is no longer used. The F+WL wires need joining, the earth wire is unused, all the other wires need connecting together. 

I bought a good quality alternator kit from Rimmer Bros with all the components you need for my Herald, which is listed as being the same for Spitfires up to Mk3.  I did have a problem with adjusting the tension and they were surprisingly unhelpful - I had the impression that they are just box shifters and really didn’t understand the issue.  I bought a slightly shorter fan belt elsewhere.

If I were to do it again I’d simply get a used alternator from a local scrap yard and make the necessary fixing components myself.

Maybe keep the dynamo and regulator for possible future return to original 

When I come to fit an alternator I'll go for one of those Denso lightweight jobbies. I know it wont look standard but I love their neatness, reliability and of course weight saving😍

• Like 1