Koni, Spax or Gaz

GTsixCA

I see that Rimmer have suspension upgrade kits listed and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of them.

Both the Gaz and Spax kits are pretty evenly priced but the Koni is a fair bit more expensive, is it really worth the extra $$$$?

Thanks

My Koni shocks have been champs.
They now look awful, but many years have passed since their installation & their performance is still good.
The disadvantage to Koni that's usually mentioned is that to adjust the firmness, you must remove them from the car.

My tip:  when I first got mine new, for my daily driver car, I cranked them all the way to their firmest.
That was too much.  I took them off and adjusted them back a little.
That was still too much.  I took them off and adjusted them all the way to the least firm end of their adjustment.
Then they were fine!  Still firmer than typical stock, & good for daily use.
So if you get Koni shocks, start with them adjusted to their least firm & work from that end.

Buy the Koni.
I had a pair on my vitesse for many years of everyday use until the car died of rust. They are still in excellent order (paint was even in good condition! ) to the extent I am using them on my current project.
I have never heard a bad thing about Koni, except paint/finish sometimes not lasting. They are a bit more of a pain to adjust, but well worth the effort. I guess the fact they do not have height adjustable seats can count against them in some circumstances, means you have to get the exact springs for your desired ride height.
I also seem to remember a certain expert who used to be on this forum explaining that their valve system was a far better design than spax/gaz/avo. Do not expect me to remember the details!
Spax have a reputation for seized adjusters, if you do get them I strongly suggest keeping the adjuster covered in grease of some sort, and I had that covered in a layer of plastic cabletied (ziptied?) into place. And move the adjuster on a regular basis (once a year? every oil change, that sort of thing)

Cant say about the damping on the Konis,   BUT, both the Spax and the Avo,Gaz, Ive found to be ..firmer.. than standard shocks  when on the on the rear.
As  Roto said, I ve found that they have to be slackened right off for a GT,  [ maybe ok for a vit !! ]
so 15 points of adjustment,and only the first one is used.
the Spax are just slightly softer than the Avos, not much though,

BUT, Avo will,and can re set the adjustment ,so you loose the top end settings,and gain at the bottom end.  and cos the settings are diff at lower end, the ride can be adjusted to suit in a much better way. cost is 15£ if sent back, plus P and P.  but if bought direct from Avo, then its free,  as its done in house,
so i was told by them, when i inquired .  about a year ago

I running the old Spax on the back at moment, as not got round to sending the Avos off,
as the Spax give just about the right ride on lowest setting, slightly softer than the Avos,
And the Spax are 1 3/4 ilb a pair lighter, !!!!

the fronts are no prob at all for firmness,  
rears are in my mind, just too stiff for comfort.

M

More to it than just "stiffness" — ride quality is another measure that whilst related is not directly — go Koni

You're paying for something that directly effects the comfort of your ride every time you get in the car — it's worth the money.

I have Spax all round,they seem fine to me, but I am a poor person  :B (so the wife says when I want things for me but not when she wants stuff!)
Most if not all the folks on here would recommend the konis and if had the money I would go with them
as most on here know more than me

Can only speak to Gaz, height and firmness adjustables on the front.  I'm glad they are easy to adjust (on the car) because I've adjusted them a few times.  They are currently at the softest setting, but that may be due to the shorter 480# springs being used with them.

Another question if i may...

As the Koni's do not have the adjustable spring seat where might i find a set of shorter springs?, also i see there are ratings, what would be the std rate and what would you recommend as a repolacement

I'm not a hard driving person so am more concerned with comfort on the longer journeys to be honest.

OK so it was more than 1 question

thanks

Hi Russell-

I have Konis on the front of the '68 Spitfire pictured below ('Special', p/n 80-1388 ) and on the '78 Spitfire pictured below I have Spax at both the front (CSX adjustable dampers, p/n GSA366 SPAX AS) and rear (KSX adjustable dampers, p/n GDA4011 SPAX).  The Konis are certainly rugged and good quality, but they are not so easy to adjust (the damping that is) because you have to take the front suspension apart to do so.  Once you've found a damping setting you like best for whatever you do most, that's great but a pain getting there.  If you want to change the damping settings regularly, that's a hassle.  The Spax units I have are also very good quality and perform very well and I have put many thousands of miles on them on my fair weather commuter.  A really convenient feature is that the damping is adjustable with just the turn of a knob--no disassembly required.  Adjustable damping is certainly nice for dialing-in the handling, especially if you've changed the spring rates and anti-roll bar rates or like to drive the car in autocrosses or track events.  One more thing is spring perch adjustability.  Spax has a front damper model that has adjustable bottom spring perches (the ones I have include this).  This is very nice to have for easy adjusting of front ride height if you change coil spring free lengths and rates.  I don't know if Koni has adjustable perch units (I've never found any); the ones I have have fixed spring perches.  I've no experience with Gaz myself, so can't comment on them.  

Starman

Thank you for your experiences, you are right about the Koni's, they have fixed spring seats and to be honest i would really prefer the adjustable type.. the car does not get used too often so i'm not concerned about dirt and grime getting on them...

I have asked Rimmer if they are currently running any specials for North american customers which i know they do on occasion, i think i'll wait for that to happen before i take the plunge

Konis seem to be the favourite if money is no object, I have spax on my spit with no complaints so far, also handy for autosolos as you can stiffen them up for the course then ease them off for the ride home, although it is worth greasing the adjusters as they are exposed to the elements :)

I had Spax on my Herald for years. The adjusters never seized (no salt on roads here) and they were probably as good the day they were removed as when they were fitted. Which is to say, hard as hell even on the softest setting.

When I was rebuilding the suspension again I fitted Konis, set to about their middle damping. They give a much nicer ride, still well damped but easier to take on a long drive. I've read that Spax only adjust the compression stroke and not the rebound, while Konis adjust the firmness of both. Whether that's true I have no idea, I just know that I like their ride better.

Archived