Broken Trunnion

Dannyb

20240622_232729.thumb.jpg.1cee60b7e217da1339a2c2c711ba9c3f.jpg2 hrs into the C2C my virticle link snapped in the trunnion on a right hand bend. Got recovered by relay. First two trucks were low loaders which made it easier than the third truck which wasn't.  This resulted in puncturing the oil cooler and damaging the valance. Spent all day yesterday trying to get her back in the garage. Had to first remove the oil cooler and top up oil. The reverse into the garage with a dolly under the wheel. Used a sheet of plywood to run the dolly wheels on.

I always oil the trunnions twice a year. I suspect pot holes had something to do with it. 

Danny

20240624_160435.thumb.jpg.0d58ac36becd31a877c446d2a6d145cb.jpg20240624_160427.thumb.jpg.c1654f2b26031c8b6876c3327d1db023.jpg

Edited by Dannyb
Remove photo

Just now, yorkshire_spam said:

Oh no! That really sucks @Dannyb.

Time to carpe diem and go trunnionless? Any chance you can claim against the recovery co. for the damage to the oil cooler?

I can't be bothered. If I fit a new one I'll place it a bit higher where its not vulnerable.  Not sure about trunnionless. That's one I'll have to think about.

A long standing debate about trunnionless. I g=have had them on for nearly 10 years, and over 40K very hard miles. They get the occasional spray of WD40 and that's it. 

When I did mine the cost was similar to buying new std uprights and new trunnions, but I had the caliper brackets already (needed I think for a spitfire, and over £100 a pair) The downside is they reduce the effective spring rate, quite noticeably.

However, on balance, I think I would still go trunnionless, after all caterhams (still?) use them

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Clive said:

A long standing debate about trunnionless. I g=have had them on for nearly 10 years, and over 40K very hard miles. They get the occasional spray of WD40 and that's it. 

When I did mine the cost was similar to buying new std uprights and new trunnions, but I had the caliper brackets already (needed I think for a spitfire, and over £100 a pair) The downside is they reduce the effective spring rate, quite noticeably.

However, on balance, I think I would still go trunnionless, after all caterhams (still?) use them

Yep had my trunnionless kit on for years, after two snaps, that was enough( and going down continental alpine passes its a relief to the brain). No further mods needed other than changing the vertical links and as Clive says ....no brainer on cost as the `original` VLs had increased in cost . Canley Classics provided. Sorry for the mishap Danny

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clive said:

but I had the caliper brackets already (needed I think for a spitfire, and over £100 a pair

Did you fit the "wrong" kit Clive? (GT6 brakes on a Spitfire upright or vice-versa) Curious as I ordered the Herald/Spitfire kit and didn't need any other parts. 

7 hours ago, Dannyb said:

20240622_232729.thumb.jpg.1cee60b7e217da1339a2c2c711ba9c3f.jpg2 hrs into the C2C my virticle link snapped in the trunnion on a right hand bend. Got recovered by relay. First two trucks were low loaders which made it easier than the third truck which wasn't.  This resulted in puncturing the oil cooler and damaging the valance. Spent all day yesterday trying to get her back in the garage. Had to first remove the oil cooler and top up oil. The reverse into the garage with a dolly under the wheel. Used a sheet of plywood to run the dolly wheels on.

I always oil the trunnions twice a year. I suspect pot holes had something to do with it. 

Danny

20240624_160435.thumb.jpg.0d58ac36becd31a877c446d2a6d145cb.jpg20240624_160427.thumb.jpg.c1654f2b26031c8b6876c3327d1db023.jpgWhat a nightmare !! I'm guessing potholes too ... I'd almost be tempted to send the local council the bill ... here in Barnet the holes are atrocious and all the responsibility the council staff take is to offer an online "pay for your damage" service rather than doing their duty and sorting the things out properly to begin with !!! You have my sympathies...

47 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Did you fit the "wrong" kit Clive? (GT6 brakes on a Spitfire upright or vice-versa) Curious as I ordered the Herald/Spitfire kit and didn't need any other parts. 

I was using all GT6 stuff. But I thought the spitfire versions had a seperate caliper bracket. But very possible I am wrong. It happens, quite regularly according to my wife. 

GT6 has a separate mounting bracket for the caliper, as indeed do early 4 cylinder cars. I think the cast in caliper brackets appeared for the mk3 spit and heralds about the same time.

22 hours ago, Velocita Rosso said:

One of the main problems with re manufactured, we found, was that the lub bore on the VL are not bored centrally (off centre) and that leaves one wall thinner than the obverse. Its not always the lack of lubrication

The off centre bore issue was only prevalent for a few months over ten years ago when a new manufacturer tried their hand at vertical links. Apart from that there has only ever been one manufacturer of all types of links (including trunnionless). 

The off centre drilled links were quickly identified and withdrawn by all those traders that had stocked them, but I do suspect that some found their way out via 'other' selling platforms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 26/06/2024 at 09:02, Slimboyfat said:

The off centre bore issue was only prevalent for a few months over ten years ago when a new manufacturer tried their hand at vertical links. Apart from that there has only ever been one manufacturer of all types of links (including trunnionless). 

The off centre drilled links were quickly identified and withdrawn by all those traders that had stocked them, but I do suspect that some found their way out via 'other' selling platforms.

Making the buyers of the VLs ,over recent times,aware of that problem should prompt those buyers to just check what they have fitted, just to be sure they don't have any faulty ones. If the poor links manufacture has now been corrected, then that should help.If we had purchased any in that time we certainly would,dis assemble  and check but had the sense to buy Canley' s trunnion less, for piece of mind

I've dismantledthe n/s assembly ready for new vertical link and trunnion. Not decided on trunnionless yet but will also have to inspect the o/s so probably makes sense to bite the bullet. I've already repaired and painted the valance and quarter valance. Not sure if I will fit a new oil cooler.

Danny

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Got the broken part from the trunnion which shows the thread was well worn so I suspect the n/s will be the same. When you think about it the threaded part is a weak point especially with an oil hole drilled up the centre. I've now bit the bullet and ordered a trunnionless set from Canleys, which is on order so not sure how long that will be.

Danny

Edited by Dannyb
Spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dannyb said:

Got the broken part from the trunnion which shows the thread was well worn so I suspect the n/s will be the same. When you think about, the threaded part is a week point especially with an oil hole drilled up the centre. I've now bit the bullet and ordered a trunnionless set from Canleys, which is on order so not sure how long that will be.

Danny

You wont regret it

• 2 months later...

Spitfire is back on the road with the trunnionless kit fitted. 20240831_124502.thumb.jpg.a6c5edee8378adb200f11f32cbb318c8.jpg

You can see the oil hole is drilled off centre making it weak on one side.

Below you can see the size of the oil hole at the bottom of the broken  stem compared to the oil hole on the good one. Why ?

Danny

20240831_124509.thumb.jpg.4327c7ce169f47c2dc4b4bad7f182d9f.jpg