Stud/bolt removal Chassis

Adrianb

On the front passenger side of the chassis as in picture is one of the locating holes that the fixing bolts go into. A few months back I used one of the new bolts with some copper grease on to make a temporary earthing point so I could get the 13/60 to Turn over. After waiting for Robins to exit stage left! I started to clean things up went to remove bolt and it snapped in hole. Apart from being disappointed with the quality of the bolt obtained from a reputable supplier ! What is the best way to remove it and will I have to rethink how the bulkhead is bolted on at that point?

IMG_1490.jpeg

Gosh, Adrian, how tight were you torquing that bolt?   Of course, copper grease will have so reduced the friction  that all that torque went into the shank when otherwise it would have been distributed on the threads and bolt length.    AND, if its a blind hole, did you 'bottom' the bolt, seizing it in the end of the thread.

Is all that rust the relic of grinding the face of the chassis member to bare metal?   Quite right if so, as expecting good contactvvie bolt threads cannot be relied on.  Copper grease is not a conductive grease!  Only special electrical grease are so.

To get this broken bolt out, a Left Hand drill may help.  Made to spin and cut ANTI- clockwise, with luck they can grip the bolt and spin it out!  Do NOT try so-called 'bolt extractors' which almost always break off in the bolt.  As they are - or should be! - made of tool steel and very hard, further work is made very difficult.

Pop mark the broken bolt as close to the centre as possible, using a small drill make a pilot hole before applying the LH drill.

Good luck!

John

Thankyou John, I just used the copper grease cos I mistakenly thought it would help if I needed to undo the bolt! And I obviously don’t know my own strength. As you noticed I had ground the face off!

• 2 weeks later...

So I saved up my beer money and bought some bits, I went out to the broken bolt and poured some penetrating fluid onto the end of the Bolt,By Crickey it must have been powerful stuff!!!! The Bolt end dropped off into the Abyss! I didn’t even get to use the bits,not even hit it with a hammer and punch! I wish I’d done this a few days ago before I bought the bits.

• Haha 1