Spitfire 1500 half shaft universal joint bearings.

Kevin R

The NSR half shaft universal joint bearing on my Spitfire 1500 is starting to fail and is making a ticking sound so I would be very grateful if you could give any advice on the following:

1. Roughly how many miles will it run for in this state ?  (enthusiastic but sympathetic driving)

2. What happens when it eventually fails ?

3. What would be the best replacement ( I seem to remember Landrover replacements mentioned )

Thank you in advance.

A ticking sound probably isnt a worn uj as such but the end caps moving in the half shaft yokes. You might be able to see the cap looking very shiney where its been moving against the circlip? You can get thicker circlips to try to eliminate the free play or alternatively install packing.

Ujs vary enormously in price and presumably quality from under 10 quid to well over 50. Some Freelander items are supposed to be uprated but the pick of the crop are GKN TVF100000G (must have the G in part number)...

• Like 2

Indeed, and thicker circlips can be done with the car jacked up (and supported). Remove teh circlip, get a nice fitting drift and a fair wack to push teh UJ in as far as possible, then fit the thickest circlip. Rotate 90 degrees, repeat. And keep going until  you can't get a thicker circlip in anywhere.

The hardest part is getting the old circlips out, but with perserverence even the nastiest ones will give up.

The GKN ones in a box like this are the best available, but have got mighty expensive, I was paying £20 a few years ago.

https://shared1.ad-lister.co.uk/UserImages/3ce899d2-b9e5-49c0-a434-de96d81377ed/Img/TVF100000G.jpg

• Like 1

Dont think they come in different thickness just thicker and if you need more your flange is knackered although some have had success making discs out of tin cans as packers... 

image.thumb.png.0d1ed7666d0cc4a9d48f05a49591e4b9.png

• Like 1

Canleys still stock a couple of thicknesses, but they used to have a bigger range. They are cheap, when I order I usually buy 8 which is as many as yiou could possibly fit. But handy to have spares.

• Like 1

It mystifys me a bit as this is the internal slots in the yokes wearing wider? How does that happen, the circlip spins or is it the UJ cup sliding back and forth that bashes into the circlip so widening the slot? Could the distance between the slots in opposing yokes have been machined wrong when new and the UJ wasnt held tightly or maybe the slots were too wide to start with? To me packers sound a better solution as they will work in all cases...