DVLA consultation on historic vehicle registration processes, how to answer it and ensure your voice is heard

Howard

I have already done this but I do not agree with the FBHVC's position on spare/replacement parts as expressed in Section 2 (I think) where it talks about non-original parts only being used where originals are no longer available.

I fundamentally disagree with this as I can see no reason why uprated parts should invalidate the Historic status of a vehicle. I have newer, non-standard and improved lighting, charging, braking, seating, safety and wheels/tyres on both of my roadworthy Triumphs.

There are other, potentially contentious, areas in their suggested response regarding the status and treatment of recommissioned/restored/rebuilt cars and also kit cars which you may also wish to point out and take issue with.

I advise everyone to complete the survey but to take the time to read through it all first and make sure that they agree with the suggested response and, if not, to actually SAY so. If the FBHVC, which is supposed to be defending our rights to continue using our cars as we please, makes the mistake of capitulating on these points, what chance is there that politicians and administrators who appear hell-bent on removing any/all 'complications' as I'm sure they see us will give us a second thought?

• Like 3

I would have to agree with Dale, my Spitfire most certainly isn't as it left the factory, some of the changes are commonplace amongst the classic car community such as an alternator conversion. How many Spitfires have wheelbarrow exhausts? How many have a halogen headlamp conversion? An electric fuel pump? An electric fan? The list goes on. All of the changes I've made don't stop my car being a Mk3 Spitfire & it should be treated as that.

Here's a photo of under my bonnet, the changes are numerous but it's still recognisable as a Spitfire engine bay. IMG_20240531_074007.thumb.jpg.c676fd76e5ef87e7c0d7f440a22e01f2.jpg

• Like 2