Something to think about

Eric JS

I think most people would agree - cars have strange and weird names given to them by their manufacturers.

If you know your cars there was the Ford Prefect, Sunbeam Stiletto, Vauxhall Viva, Austin Champ, Hillman Avenger. None of the names ever made sense or reflected the kind of car they were and sadly they still don’t.

Triumph seemed to have an equally odd group of people on their car naming committee and in the marketing department, where did the names such as Toledo, Dolomite, GT6, Herald and Mayflower come from?

I think the name: Spitfire could have been a great start point for a company rebranding, for me the GT6 could have been the GT6 Hurricane and the TR6 could have been the TR6 Typhoon.

So here is the point of this little essay - if you could go back in time to the early 50’s right up to Triumphs demise as a brand what names would you give to each of the models in the range. 

It’s a bank holiday and it may rain so just for fun have a think and see where you go with the names, you could even do the same for any of the brands.

Eric

It was the management that needed changing not the brand !!!

GT6 was a great name ... 

As you say, Spitfire also great

TR6 yup that's good too...

Toledo and Dolomite weaker but Sprint excellent...

You also have to think of the 50's and Mayflower was really strong in connotation back then...

And what about the Staaaaagggg (in Clarkson tones) ... brilliant!!

but the management decisions OMG now they were appalling....