Repair panels for a Mk2 Big Saloon

Rubce

Hi All

Who supplies the repair panels for the section of the rear wings, located directly behind the wheel arch?

I have offered to do some weld repairs on a friend's car.

Lloyd doesn't supply them and Rimmers state they are no longer available.

Regards

Bruce

Screenshot_20240523_125703_Gallery.jpg

Thats bad, is the rest of the wheel arch ok? I would say get a rear 1/2 wing from Lloyd, although if you have access and some experience with English wheel you could make it. At a guess, the drain tube in the gutter for the bootlid was blocked?

My MkI PI had similar rust on the inner panels and the whole back-end had sagged. The four corners to the boot provide the strength to the panel work. I ended up jacking the back of the shell up at the rear of the bootfloor with a length of 4x2. I had to lift the rear by about an  1" - 1-1/2" to get an OE rear valance to fit (supplied by Lloyd).

I suspect, you will end up spending as much time repairing the floor and inner wing as you do repairing the outer wing. Looking at the rear of the wheel arch, the inner will also need attention.

ps is that part of the rear valance lying on the ground?

Hi When I was in the trade, we often made up small panels for quick repairs, this was in a time when the repair panels for classics were still being made - but that is no good now - assuming you cannot get the panels you want,  start the job with cleaning up the areas to be repaired, cut out the rot and get your customer to buy lots of rust remover to treat the areas currently out of sight, then get into lateral thinking, cardboard templates and lots of metal manipulation.

What you are looking at will take time and money, if you are a good welder you are probably a good fabricator too so you may just need a sheet of steel and use your skills and knowledge.

You will need to be creative with a sheet of steel make everything bigger than you need then trim every thing to size. There is no reason why you cannot do the repairs in various sections welded together it just takes a lot of time think 3D Jigsaw puzzles.

You can make a lot of panels with the help of heat and sections of angle iron and scaffolding poles. The curves can be formed easily by hand, by bending the metal around a pole or broom handle the problem comes where you get curves in two or more directions so a suggestion - in my day body shops often cut up body panels so that they only installed part panels quickly.

The consequence was that the body shop had lots of part panels with different curves, radiuses etc specifically for the jobs like yours - you cold try going into traditional body shops to see what they have, they may send you away with nothing but you could walk out with a load of bits out of their storage areas or their scrap bins this also applies to engineering companies, their junk is often gold to a restorer.

you can do this with or without the right panels.

E