Partly worn engine serial # => what to do to make it fully readable again

2500Saloon

Hello - after a refurb of my 2.5 saloon replacement engine, the serial number on my engine block has become harder to read.

E.g. the last letter now looks like an "F" whilst in fact it's an "E" and the first letter looks like a "1" instead of the correct "M" - so in each case, a small bar was shaved off by accident.

Any suggestions on how to make it unambiguously readable again? 

I think anyone really bothered in the future would deduce what you have. You could always grind down a small chisel to the exact size of the letters and very carefully hammer in the missing bits of the M & E. Think it would be hard to find letter punches of the correct size and typestyle. Fortunately in your case it's just straight lines that are missing. Personally I would leave it.

Many thanks for your insights and indeed, it's best to keep it as is. The good news is that given the specific font type used by Triumph and the structure of the serial numbers, there's no ambiguity of what the number is. E.g. no 2500 PI engine ends with a letter F.  I contacted the TR Register to see if they can vouch for the number on that basis. Any other expert you know who could vouch for it based on a picture?

If it's not the original engine, why are you so concerned about making sure of the number?

There are well established techniques in Forensic Science for reading numbers that have been completely filed off.  Guns, for instance.  They are described online, but take care!  They involve strong acids!

On 24/05/2024 at 19:15, JohnD said:

Is there ANY penalty for having the wrong engine number on Yr V5?

Only if you need to identify it for some reason. Post theft perhaps?

just send log book off with new number, there is no reason to provide proof of source of engine (which is where I suspect you are coming from) as you have not noted the exemption for older vehicles from that requirement.

the DVLA eventually appreciated that “classics” change engine regularly using spares stored in garages and sheds.