Manifold required

BriComp

I have just purchased a 13/60, which has had quite a lot of mods.

Among those are twin H4 SU Carbs.

I consider these to be much too big for the engine and would like to get a/some carburettors more suited to the size of the engine.

I see my options as (a) twin 1.25 HS2s, (b) a single H4, or (c) put on my Reece Fish carburettor.

a) would seem to be fairly easy to source from a Spitfire. Does it matter what year/model. Any one any idea about needles. Apart from 0.030" off the head, I believe the rest of the engine to be standard.

b) where would I get a manifold from to do this?

c) this might be my preferred option, the Fish is a fantastic carburettor, but would require a manifold that would take a single 1.25" HS2 (Fish has same flange dimensions).

I should probably mention that the Exhaust manifold is a 4 into 2 into 1 tubular type.

What about a std 13/60 inlet and single stromberg 150? That would be easiest of all. 

The single HS4 and manifold from a Toledo or dolomite 1300 is the other easy option. 

A pair of HS2s off a mk3 or IV spitfire along with the mayching manifold from the same car. I would rather use the later MK IV carbs, a better design. 

If you wanted to experiment with your fish carb, I think you would need to make an adaptor plate and use either the herald or dolomite inlet manifold. Adaptor easy enough to make with some thick (15mm?) aluminium, a holesaw and some drills. Plus a tap for threading to take the carb studs.

4 hours ago, Clive said:

What about a std 13/60 inlet and single stromberg 150? That would be easiest of all. 

Do you think that it would clear the tubular exhaust?

4 hours ago, Clive said:

If you wanted to experiment with your fish carb, I think you would need to make an adaptor plate and use either the herald or dolomite inlet manifold. Adaptor easy enough to make with some thick (15mm?) aluminium, a holesaw and some drills. Plus a tap for threading to take the carb studs.

Yes, I had thought about that. In a way it's a stepping stone from the first.

I have no personal experience of heralds with a 4 branch manifold, but I would expect it to work.

I am sure somebody can confirm one way or another, or even a call to Canley Classics or another trader (most won't have the knowledge or experience of canleys)

Just bought the car, but it has history going back forever, and besides the Purchase of 2 off H4s and manifolds, the only change to the engine is to have the head skimmed 0.030" and hardened exhaust seats and valves installed.

Hi I have two 13/60 “single carb” inlet manifolds and 2 SU HS4 carburettors I don’t need. They are going to an Auto Jumble in Suffolk with some other assorted stuff in June if you are not interested?

I got a job lot off triumph parts off a friend, both of the HS4s need servicing kits and gaskets, they have been cleaned by me but they probably need a dip in an ultrasonic bath to give them a proper clean.

Both carbs need the float and float chamber cap and screws, my friend was a mechanic with his own garage - somehow he had mislaid these bits but they are not that expensive and easy to get.

I was going to get both carburettors restored but you could do that?

If interested, let me know

Ric