Restoring my 1964 Herald 12/50

Steveant1

On 12/09/2024 at 14:17, glang said:

Ive had success getting the side bearings off using an old instrument flat blade screwdriver pushed down between the outer seal plate and bearing. If you can just get it in the joint between the bearing inner race and the quarter shaft shoulder and work your way round gently tapping it in the bearing gets separated. When the gap is big enough go to a bigger screwdrive and continue the process. Of course I know some bearings are a tighter fit than others😯

Thank you for your help and advice. It’s much appreciated. I’m not sure when I will be getting to working on the diff. But before I do I need to make sure I know as much as possible about going about it. And off course having the right tools. 

Hi Steve, I’m not an expert on this and I can only tell you what I did . Now if it’s not the recommended way then I Apologise to any who is holding there head and saying No not like that! But I’ve gone through the forums and come to my own conclusion and I am where I am. So Looking at your wing tops yes you’ve got some rot! I would first attack it with a mechanical wire brush to see what disappears and what you have left. Then you can appraise as to the level of panel repair or repace, keep studying the forums as there is mention of products like Bilthammer which is used in the fight against rusty stuff. The other thing I recommend is try and go to a Local club meet like the East Sussex one and have a chat with some more experienced Triumph owners. Doing what I done was radical and not necessarily what you should do! So be careful as you have to live with that first cut! There’s getting stuck in but being Careful!I don’t think you need to go down the radical route! 

• Like 1

Now I cut the tops of wings off as part of replacing the rear deck which was a saloon deck being replaced with a convertible deck and ancillary parts. AI initially cut along the seam front to rear and around all the othe joining areas, simple as that making sure I’d put a cross member between the doors then simply welded from inside! And made a mess! So quite a bit to grind off and clean up.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your advice on the way to go about it. I will definitely get a wire brush on a drill bit and see what is left. I don’t really want to take the whole wings off and replace it but if it needs it I’m left with no choice. The window needs to come off to replace the rubber anyway.

Hi Steve,

This is my take on your project, 

You are trying to get too many things done at the same time, you should sit down and write a list (or get a white board up in your garage) of all the things you need to do.

having seen your car today I would try and concentrate on getting it mobile and fit for the road ie get the rear brakes freed off and renewed where needed so you can get the car in and out of the garage as it seems to run ok, and dont forget the choke when starting from cold.

Someone mentioned the diff breather if this is blocked it could be the cause of the oil leak so finding this and making sure the pin is free is a good idea.

Steve.

Edited by pollystag
  • Like 1

Thanks Steve for your advice. I’m trying to sort things out at the back of the car as I’m there now I’ve sorted out the engine. I will have a look for the pin on the diff. When I’ve sorted out the back brake. I can’t wait to take it for a drive. When it’s safe enough.

• Like 1