Restoring my 1964 Herald 12/50

Steveant1

If you want to remove photos, go to your post. At the top are 3 small dots, click 

on these and select edit then you will see crosses at the top of your photos, just touch these and the photos will be deleted. After editing just touch save and you’re done 😊

Edited by Wendy Dawes

I think I deleted all of them by mistake but I will go through all of it just to make sure it is the carb as I did clean it out but thanks for all your advice if it is the carb then I will buy a rebuild kit I’ll let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1

Hi. I got round to going to my garage today and started on the my carb to find it was the petrol pip going to the pump it was letting in air so no sucking petrol then when I looked closer I noticed the pump had petrol over it as well so I took it off and had a closer look it was the rubber gasket at the top leaking as well. And the points and a gap of about 50 instead of about 15 This is what I have done so far. 

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0700.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

• Like 1

hi. I have been posting in different places but thought I put it all in one place. I am trying to restore my triumph herald 12/50 1964. I started with the sunroof then exhaust and then moved onto Carb . So. The exhaust manifold the studs broke but I’ve managed to take them out and make good the water behind exhaust was leaking, so I have replaced it all the Help with Club MembersAnd I have tidied up them I am freeing up the brakes as I was seizing on the carburettor I thought was blocked but now I found out it was the Rubber pipe was perished and letting in air. The contact breakers that gap was about 50 “ . I have not worked on a triumph herald before now so all new it’s a positive earth. Around the side windows are rusted and needs sorting and so do the rubbers And the paintwork needs putting right so I thought I might do it two colours but I need to find a regional colour. This is my car 

IMG_0721.png

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0661.png

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0346.jpeg

IMG_0343.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0297.jpeg

IMG_0298.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

• Clive changed the title to Restoring my 1964 Herald 12/50
3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

That looks like gunmetal grey, they look nice in that colour with a white stripe sorry the photo came out upside down, they often do on the forum 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_2611.jpeg

Iphone? If so there are plenty of guides to fix it (before sending it)

4 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

That looks like gunmetal grey, they look nice in that colour with a white stripe sorry the photo came out upside down, they often do on the forum 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_2611.jpeg

It looks good with the white stripes 

• Like 1

I was thinking of putting white on top of the bonnet on the boot and along the sides do you no what colour the white should be on that age car.  If it is a gunmetal gray I think it would need a good t cut to bring it out. I need to get a colour match done when i tackle round the rear windows. 

12 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Can’t do Android love my iPhone 😊

I have a iPhone as well it takes some getting used to. I don’t remember any vin plate but I will have a look next time I’m in the garage. I now have a new petrol pump and vacuum pipe to fit so I will have a look then. When I get it running and the brakes done I will take it to Halfords to see if they can get the code or make some pint up I can’t seem to zoom on the chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I went to my garage yesterday and put a new petrol pump in and cleaned up the carb and spent a long time trying to start it. But managed to get it fired up and then managed to tune account and got it running okay and then started on the back passenger side wheel as it was seized up managed to get it off noticed that the brake cylinder needs replacing as it was rusted up. And looking further up the car the rear axle was full of oil. 

IMG_0737.jpeg

IMG_0736.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0732.jpeg

yes keep on knocking those jobs down and one day the car is immaculate😁 Difficult to keep the diff dry but looks like yours should be taken out and all 3 oil seals changed along with the centre gasket. In the meantime if you do any miles make sure its oil level is always good as they contain very little and dont like running low....

• Like 2

Hi thanks glang. I haven’t worked on one of these diff’s before. Will the big oil seal be with the small ones as a set. Is there a drawing of it being stripped with tuque setting. Not sure what to look for to see the level of oil. Would it be just a bolt to undo. 

you probably need to download the free manual at vitessesteve.co.uk as this has the procedure and of course much more. The diff has a fill level plug in the side but not, as standard, any drain plug. The seals are usually sold individually and think they come in two sizes so get the right ones. The hardest part is the front nut which is really torqued up and theres a special tool to hold the flange - you can avoid this with a bit of ingenuity although at the risk of distorting said flange....

• Like 1

Getting the side seals off is a nightmare unless you have a suitable puller to get the bearing off. Some places used to sell (and still may) exchange 1/4 shafts with new seals and bearings. 

Saying that, it may just need the front seal swapping. A length of metal bar bolted to the flange is the way to undo the nut, and ideally fit a new split pin. There is also a breather on the drivers side on top of the diff, it is just a split pin that needs a good wiggle to make sure the breather is open. You can't see it, but you can feel it!

• Like 1

Ive had success getting the side bearings off using an old instrument flat blade screwdriver pushed down between the outer seal plate and bearing. If you can just get it in the joint between the bearing inner race and the quarter shaft shoulder and work your way round gently tapping it in the bearing gets separated. When the gap is big enough go to a bigger screwdrive and continue the process. Of course I know some bearings are a tighter fit than others😯

• Confused 1

Thanks all for your advice. The worst bit for me is getting under the car jacking it right up with axle stands all in a small space ( garage). I will attempt it soon before it gets to cold outside. I’ll let you know how it goes with some pictures and if a find other way of getting it apart all let you all know. Wish me luck. And thanks again for all your help and advice. 

• Like 2

Hi, you’ve posted some nice pictures of rusty wing tops on my project thread, Don’t let that rusty stuff get a grip it’s like an Iceberg! What you see on top is just a fraction of what’s underneath so get stuck in and get rid of it. Even my garage has its draw backs so don’t get garage envey ! It’s ruddy cold out there in the winter and like a Sauna in the summer!  But hay Ho! Enjoy getting stuck in👍

Edited by Adrianb
  • Like 2

Thanks for your advice Adrianb. Can I possibly have some more information about how to get the back wings off. I’ve not worked on a triumph before. I know I need to get the windows out first but not sure how it’s attached and what I can see in the pictures there doesn’t seem to be many bolts. Sorry to be a pain. Thanks again Steve