Mabel’s resurrection - again

Wendy Dawes

Nice, is it NOS BL/Stanpart or Kent/Piper?

It's something I've recently been thinking about for my 12/50, but seems a bit of a minefield.

My engine no starts GD620XXHE and is mid 1965 build.

I think the 12/50 as standard has the same cam timing as the Mk1 and early mk2 Spitfire being 18 58 58 18, but runs in block so cam has appropriately sized bearing journals.

The later mk2/mk3 spit cam is timed 25 65 65 25, and that would be the one to have, but I am guessing that one only comes remanufactured with smaller journals and would need me to fit bearing shells into the block ?

Is that what you have found?

Regards
Jon

Posted (edited)

Hi Jon   I’m not that up on technology of cams, I’m getting the engine rebuilt by the reconditioner my engine is GD 59697HE , I do know the 12/50 has a spitfire mk1/mj2  camshaft  I was lucky to find this one on auction on eBay and won it, it’s a new old stock made by Newman camshafts. I believe it’s a good quality  one, it’s certainly better than the one that  came out lol, I’ll find out about bearings etc when it’s rebuilt .  And update when I get it back 😊

Edited by Wendy Dawes

• 4 weeks later...

Mabel’s engine has been delivered for machining, found to have a 20 thou lip at the top of the bore so will need to go out  to + 40 thou. Crank is thankfuly good and may just need polishing out, her new spitfire camshaft will be installed together with new followers. the  head will be ported and polished and have hardened seals,  and a full refurb  Her twin HS2 carbs will be fitted and the engine run on a dyno before it comes home to be re fitted , 

she may have a few more horses when finished than when she was new 🐎🐎

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Mabel’s engine has now been rebuilt and was due a first run on the dyno with her twin carbs, but as usual she threw up an issue or should I say an issue occurred,  the Stanpart exhaust manifold I sourced turns out to be warped. So looks like her good old solex single going back on for now  🙄🤷🏻‍♀️ the photo shows the warp against the engineers rule is quite substantial,  now to get a refund from the seller - wish me luck on that one 🙏

IMG_2561.jpeg

Edited by Wendy Dawes

On 10/07/2024 at 21:39, Wendy Dawes said:

Mabel’s engine has now been rebuilt and was due a first run on the dyno with her twin carbs, but as usual she threw up an issue or should I say an issue occurred,  the Stanpart exhaust manifold I sourced turns out to be warped. So looks like her good old solex single going back on for now  🙄🤷🏻‍♀️ the photo shows the warp against the engineers rule is quite substantial,  now to get a refund from the seller - wish me luck on that one 🙏

IMG_2561.jpeg

Why not saw your existing manifold, chopping the inlet part off? That seems to have been the "usual" solution when fitting twin carbs to a 1200 herald. And the manifolds are much easier to source than the spitfire type. 

Or get the manifold machined flat? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mabel’s engine has been rebuilt and has been run on the dyno she’s showing oil pressure of 70psi 😁 ,  she’s on her original solex carb at present but I have found a 4 branch free flow manifold which Darren and I will fit with the HS2 carbs soon.  Just got to pick up the engine after the border raiders and pop it back in then hopefully SHE LIVES 🙏

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 65redspit said:

Not yet !

I've ordered a 123 ignition system, got new plugs and coil in ready and waiting for it arrive (but of course they are out of stock)....

🙄 typical -  I understand that the 123 has a capacitor actually in the rotor arm and these can fail so you get a weak/random spark.  Darren’s failed on Olaf and Dale told him about the capacitor new one fitted  and all good again  The same one is fitted to the Porsche  911  👍

Edited by Wendy Dawes