TomTom Phone Android App

Howard

I am testing this app for event routes and so far am impressed, but would like to find out if anyone else uses it and what they think.

Good points:-

• Loads GPX route files via computer
  • Very good speed camera (alarm and display) plus live traffic warnings
  • Maps download onto phone so keeps running when no phone signal.
  • Low annual cost (£20)
  • Clear graphics

Not so good points:-

• Challenging to initially set up for uploading GPX route files due to lack of clear instructions
  • TomTom follows waypoint routes well but does not display the waypoints.
  • Map files are large and have to be individually downloaded. (UK mainland is 3 separate maps)
  • Not clear if it deals with international borders.
  • No option found to avoid ULEZ zones.
  • Display runs second or so behind actual position which is noticeable on roundabouts

Comments please.

Edited by Howard
Formatting improved and additional points added

Howard,

Some years ago, I paid the supplement to have speed camera warnings on  my TomTom.   They proved to be vastly out of date, like, for instance on the M6 north of Preston by FIVE YEARS!   I complained and got my money back, so they must have been aware of the deficiencies.   You might ask how often they update the warnings now.

John

Edited by JohnD

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Howard,

Some years ago, I paid the supplement to have speed camera warnings on  my TomTom.   They proved to be vastly out of date, like, for instance on the M6 north of Preston by FIVE YEARS!   I complained and got my money back, so they must have been aware of the deficiencies.   You might ask how often they update the warnings now.

John

How long ago? I am interested as we have a TomTom, and a button to report speed cameras if they are not flagged up. Think ours is 6 years old, but has all the functionality Howard talks of. (and has proved worthwhile as it has been in many countries with us, always accurate with mapping even in some odd places)

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Howard,

John

My in-car sat nav uses TomTom and I have to say the speed camera information is excellent. It even warns with pin point accuracy the location of the mobile speed cameras.

Chris & I were driving the final 2024 C2C recce yesterday and due to a fault with the power feed to my usual Garmin SatNav we were forced to rely on the TomTom app that I was testing. During three hours driving on unfamiliar roads the Speed camera warnings always seemed to be correct and appear to be intelligent as they only shouted at us when over the limit.

My original question still stands - has anyone else tried the app and what do they think?

Howard