Bonnet taking chunks out of tyre!

jonnyk5614

uksnatcher wrote:
Hello Korea...its a small world..!

Expensive for what they are but not a total fix.
9.5mm spacer is ok on the studs and you could use large washers to make up the rest, depends on the length of the 3 studs, there are longer studs fitted to some end caps, shorter on others.... its the 20mm spacer between the spring and the plate 'off the shelf' thats the problem.
The ride hight needs to be raised about 1.25 inch and still no garantee the tyre wont hit the wheel arch under heavy braking or speed bump as the spring rating is unknown. 320lbs will deflect greater than 480's etc.

By my calculations, I need no more than 10mm ride height increase for my setup (the deepest chunk is about 4/5mm) and this testing was done at up to 90mph on very bumpy single track Scottish roads so I think we've reached the limit!

So, what does 10mm translate to in Spring spacer? Also, cheers for the canleys link but ouch! Might try and fashion something myself lol
Just a thought, would stiffening the shock stop it going down that far so often (obviously it won't prevent the possibility of it doing so...).

Any spacer will not give full lift due to the angle of the shock. If the shock is 30 degrees from vertical a 10mm spacer will raise the car by 10 x cos 30 - 8.66mm.

I'm guessing mine are 9.5mm canley ones - obviously can't measure them right now.

I had the ali ones made to my own designs and can provide the drawings if anyone is interested, just PM me your e-mail address.

Glen.

Stiffening the shocks will help in a straight line but the fear of understeer shouts out on corners. Again depends on how sticky your tyres are how far you go with the stiffening.

As the tyre hits the arch lip it cuts in ( as tiggrs gt6 a few post ago shows, i know it was me driving ) and tears the tyre. Yours looks like its just touching the tyre so if you only need 10mm i would try raising the ride hight by spacing the cap only, it really depends on the length of your 3 cap studs the amount of spacing.  

I used several large spacer washers, between the cap and the chassis and experimented with the amount of washers, had to cut the washers raised about 10mm max if i remember, so i would take the offer of the 10mm spacers.  

Archived