Gearbox carpet.

WIMPUS

Hi,

Well i'm looking after a gearbox carpet for my spitfire.

The gaiter around the gearlever is broken,not nice .
Been like this for a long time now and i start to hate it  :B

Looked at ebay & co.
Seen a guy selling all the parts but no gearbox carpet, for the rest i find only full sets  :-/

Does someone got an idea ?

I had seen this a while ago, but then i thought ... How do you fix that, because the gaiter is attached to the carpet  :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-GENUINE-LEATHER-GEAR-GAITER-SHIFT-BOOT-/231159309010

But got this picture of a fb friend ..
I do like this idea ... But looked for a chrome ring like it, but can't find it ..
Exept for an Mg and i just don't want a ugly Mg part in mine  :(

4526 wrote:
I had seen this a while ago, but then i thought ... How do you fix that, because the gaiter is attached to the carpet  :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-GENUINE-LEATHER-GEAR-GAITER-SHIFT-BOOT-/231159309010

But got this picture of a fb friend ..
I do like this idea ... But looked for a chrome ring like it, but can't find it ..
Exept for an Mg and i just don't want a ugly Mg part in mine  :(

And does anyone have a picture of the gearbox tunnel?
Mine doesn't have a rubber boot or anything at the gearlever it self.. Just a round hole  :P

[quote=4526]I had seen this a while ago, but then i thought ... How do you fix that, because the gaiter is attached to the carpet  :(

Wim,
  I bought one of them. but it's a bit short for the overdrive gear lever because of the thickness of the lever. So I asked him for a longer one,
That fitted perfectly. left the base of the old one on the carpet and glues the bottom of the new one over it. It looks very good.

[quote=1684]

4526 wrote:

Wim,
  I bought one of them. but it's a bit short for the overdrive gear lever because of the thickness of the lever. So I asked him for a longer one,
That fitted perfectly. left the base of the old one on the carpet and glues the bottom of the new one over it. It looks very good.

Well going to see around a bit more.
I hope the guy makes hand brake gaiters for a Spitfire with arm rest also.
Mine is also split, it was made by Owen.

4526 wrote:

Just ordered one from around 23 cm, so will see  :)

That should be fine. Better to have it a bit too big than the first one I had which would not cover the Thick part of the O/D gear leaver and you could see the wires to the O/D switch.
Also because it was longer the base was a bit wider so covered the old gaiter base. I just glued it to the carpet. It looks like it's been stitched because of the stiching at the base of the gaiter.

Got the new gaiter a few days ago, asked my mother if she could attached it ..
But she doesn't know if she can do it good..
So she said to go with her to a shop in the city, they repair leather stuff, handbags, shoes & co.. & she knows him from years ago.

So going to see there tomorrow if he wants to do it, i know another place where i can go and even 2 twin brothers that make expensive handbags & own a Triumph Vitesse  ;D

But i think they are going to be a bit expensive for just fixing the gaiter to the carpet  :o
But i know they made a full leather interior for there other car , an old Porsche.

hopefully he isn't very busy so they can do it fast ..
Want to maybe get the carpet out tomorrow and insulate the tunnel & co.
I hope then to get it back friday, because on the evening i've got an oldtimer /haloween drive.

But i think it's going to be best that i do it in the weekend when i've got more time  :)

It's fixed !

Total with the new gaiter itself from ebay it was around 34 £ ...
maybe better to buy another carpet the next time ..

But said to the guy from what car it was from when i collected it, instant joy when he heard from what car it came from  :P
He knew all the models of Triumph actually !

When my GT6 had new carpets, the gearlever gaiter wasn't included. Since the old one was pretty bad, I made a new one... out of the back of a scrap seat, but any other source of a bit of vinyl will do. It's an easy sewing job. No access to any photos of it right now but if I remember...