Carbon offsetting - ideas please?

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

Prior to the FBHVC announcement it was already under consideration for next year's C2C, so watch the magazine / forum for details when its announced

Howard

I do hope this will be voluntary and not some compulsory P/C gone mad quest the club is on.

11 minutes ago, Rutty said:

I do hope this will be voluntary and not some compulsory P/C gone mad quest the club is on.

I hope that it's a compulsory part of the fees for events, so people who think this sort of thing is "PC gone mad" are forced to contribute towards solutions to the world's problems instead of ignoring/denying them. In fact go one step further and make it part of the membership fees AS WELL.

This sort of backwards thinking is what puts me off having involvement with clubs like this.

29 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I hope that it's a compulsory part of the fees for events, so people who think this sort of thing is "PC gone mad" are forced to contribute towards solutions to the world's problems instead of ignoring/denying them. In fact go one step further and make it part of the membership fees AS WELL.

This sort of backwards thinking is what puts me off having involvement with clubs like this.

Whats the point unless the likes of China come on board anything the UK does is just sticking plasters. 

1 hour ago, Rutty said:

Whats the point unless the likes of China come on board anything the UK does is just sticking plasters. 

Unless the UK can manage to be a DAMNED sight better than "the likes of China" then we're sunk, and any appeal to your argument comes across as a piss poor excuse for a "fuck you 'cos I'm all right" attitude that has no intent to do anything. That's the point. We need to be better. If we're not better from a position of knowledge then we're more guilty than anyone. We know the Chinese are bad but you also know murderers are bad - you don't use that as an excuse to go out and randomly beat people up, do you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

I hope that it's a compulsory part of the fees for events.

Making part of the membership/entry fee risks running into problems with VAT registration since the club turnover would exceed the current VAT limit, so not to be undertaken lightly...

Reckon the Chinese have a much more pragmatic and forward-looking approach to green technology compared to the west.  Pretty much all the worlds solar panels come from China…..

Plus a major reason for their huge emissions is the west effectively offshoring manufacturing.

As for the inevitability of climate change…… if you live less than 10m above sea level

https://phys.org/news/2021-12-antarctica-doomsday-glacier-collapse-trigger.amp

Nick

• Like 1