Silly question...

ferny

I looked into owning a car in the US for a road trip, but unlike Billy's situation of owning and insuring a UK car the reverse seemed really expensive and complicated.

The only cost effective way to do it would have been to get a friend in the US to buy it and insure it and "lend" it to me for the trip.

As to shipping to the USA... not sure how much a European car would be required to be modified to be used in the US. Shipping each way... my guess about £1.5K - £2K for container shipping?

I don't think driving out there would be an issue as long as you get your international permit? You'd get stopped no doubt, but there shouldn't be any legal issues. Sorting insurance could be fun though! Shipping looks around £750ish each way? It depends where you want to start and finish.

I'm looking for stuff to do in 2023. 2022 is full from all the stuff postponed this year and I normally get a six week block of holiday in the summer. It'd be a good RBRR shakedown!