Horn, Hazards & Flasher problem

Felix

Hi, I have an odd problem with my mk2 GT6… The horn and hazards only function when the light rocker switch is in full-beam position, the light stick on the steering wheel is on full beam position and the headlight flasher is pulled on! I’m not that hot on wiring diagrams but I think there is a common purple/black cable to these, but I just can’t find the fault. 

Any help appreciated!

felix

Stalk on full beam and headlamp flash pulled is a combination which, as was noted in another thread recently, applies power to the sidelight circuit from the column "permanent power" (possibly purple?). If the master light switch is on, this also then connects the column power to the permanent power feed to the master light switch (brown). So if your horn and hazards are fed from the same purple circuit as the column (which appears to be the case from the diagram in the Haynes manual) then this would be explained by a blown fuse. Does your interior lamp work?

Edit: Thinking about it, the "other thread" was probably on another club's forum.

Also, the fuse boxes are notoriously bad, so if your roof light does work then it's probably a bad contact on the fuse.

Edited by RobPearce

Hi Rob

thanks for your reply. The interior light is working but only when (like the hazards and horn) the dash light switch is on full beam, light stick is on full beam position and the flashers pulled on.

The three fuses appear to be in tact and I have cleaned the contacts with electrical contact spray.

Any other suggestions? Could there be a broken earth somewhere that these things depend on?

felix

update: there is an earth lead coming from the wiring loom under the bonnet which attaches to the side of the engine block. The cable looked frayed behind the connector plug so I was about to re-fit it and clean it up. I disconnected this earth cable and bizarrely, all my other electrical problems go away: the hazards, the horn, the interior lights all function correctly when this earth cable is disconnected.  But now the indicator lights no longer work?

How can that work?