WIMPUS

Hi, Got a small question!

I've seen that my diff is leaking a bit, so want to have some oil for the gearbox & diff as spare, so i can top it up regularly  :)
But when i was at the shop i only could find 80w90 (gearbox) oil  :-/ Or is that only for modern cars ?

Otherwise i was maybe planning to stop at the garage with a old container so he could fill it up from his big canister !
He put oil in the gearbox & diff when it was painted  ;)

Wim

Wimm, for the gear box steer clea of GL5,or higher,
Its no the additives ye gotta worry aboot,, that was taken care of a long time ago.
But its the ..Slippery-ness of the stuff, will make yer syncro cones not very syncro,ey.

For the diff, bung some GL5 in, as it v v slippy,
and try some 75-140 stuff, thin when cold, thicker when hot.
Note EP oils are rated diff to engine oils, so just cos its a 140, it only = aboot a 25-30 grade engine oil
for the 140 stuff when hot.

I been running it for a while noo, and its fine,
Also been running ATF in the box, much much faster syncro actionee noo.

M

GL5 in the GL4 spec diff....yes

When GL-5 first came out it was indeed corrosive to brass. But only at temps above 250*F/121*C. Now since it is impossible to get any street driven gear oil to that temp (It is hard to get engine oil that hot!), there will be no problems using regular GL-5. However, additive MT-1 which is tacked onto the end of all GL-5 oils you can buy today. With this MT-1, GL-5 oil is not corrosive at any temp.

GL5 in the older GL4 spec gearbox and overdrive....no

Additives in the base oil to make GL5 spec will make it too slippy, will make syncros and overdrives crunch or slip.

The difference between GL-4 and GL-5 is the extreme pressure capability. On surfaces that have high pressure where metal to metal contact will happen, the GL-5 is way better at protecting. Diff gear teeth are constantly meshing.

Well, i've been to the shop this morning and they only had GL5 ..
But my one friend needed to go after some car parts and bought some GL4 for me .

So now i just need to check the oil level and see if i need to fill it up..
Forgot a oil can or something at the shop so i can fill it up  :B
or is there another way to do this ? :P

1505 wrote:
Hi Marcus,
is your g/box an overdrive, I'm guessing ATF and wet clutch is a good mix.

Yip, an OD J Type.
Gaz, never had a prob with oil coming oot the  front of the GB.
and its not leaking either. an its checked underneath regularly.

the MTF fluid, {Manual Trans Fluid} is alott less than EP 90, most aboot 75
and its about the same as ATF  

Note, dont be tempted to use Type F ATF, its too slippery

M

I've been after a oil can this morning (still find it strange why a smaller one cost more then a bog one, so now got a big one  ;D )
And my friend got me some 'Wynn's Gear Oil Treatment + Stop Leak' so put in it also.

So got a bit of that wynn's in it and then some GL4 (valvoline) until it came out  ;)
Not much was out, but now i can top it up.
I've also checked the breather on top and that seems to work.

have seen this question come up a few times, when i first put my spitfire on the road i didnt check if it was GL4 or GL5, turns out it was GL5 and do have an overdrive, done just over 20k and still using same brand of oil and no issues with anything slipping or going wrong, guessing i could just be lucky though?

rich

932 wrote:
have seen this question come up a few times, when i first put my spitfire on the road i didnt check if it was GL4 or GL5, turns out it was GL5 and do have an overdrive, done just over 20k and still using same brand of oil and no issues with anything slipping or going wrong, guessing i could just be lucky though?

rich

My garage filled up the diff (that was actually empty ..) and the gearbox with oil .. but what oil it was, i don't know..
But he was telling me he never got a complained about the oil he used, that some people came in with new & old car with crunching gears..
Refilled it and better then new  :P

I've got GL4, just in case .

932 wrote:

rich

Depends how you drive it Rich, nice and steady slow gear changes and forgiving o/d engagement speaks for most long lasting trannys.

Hammer it with rapid gear changes will start 'beating the syncros'  and not letting off the gas when overdriving with GL5 slippy oil will lead to premature wear eventually.  

the gearbox has always been a bit stiff on the car so every gear change is done slowly as seems to make it easier, o/d is just flicked on and off regardless though and never missed a beat, instant on and instant off.  

The car is rarely driven as quick as modern traffic which prob helps it last, never saw the point trying to make my 33 year old car go quick when i have a motorbike sat in the shed thats far quicker :)