Oil cooler Installs On GT6

AndreGT6

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=AndreGT6 link=Blah.pl?b=spit,m=1178985982,s=26 date=1179254280]

I'm going to go with mounting it down infront of the rad.

A.[/quote]

If you must mount it that way be sure the oil lines come in from the top to ensure a full fill on the cooler.  If mounting vertically GT6R style then pressure enters at the bottom.

I have seen racers blow off press on lines as well.  Next time you seem them (and their new engine) they have proper hose ends as Jim says.

Ok guys point well made - bring on the web links to suitable hose ends - Demon Tweeks?

You do all realise that'll be two oil changes .... - still - saved the engine this time.

Mind youi I'm hoping for a fresh engine for 10CR - BUT trying to get Jigsaw, Canley Classics & Picton Sports Cars to forward detailed specs and quotations is a night mare -- none of them can be short of work - they don't seem to want my money.

Hey Andre,
Yes, I recall that.  Sorry for not mentioning it.  Just angle the mount so the bottom is a bit behing the rad and it'll clear.  Come to think of it, I cut off the mounting tabs as well.  To mount it I then bend a sheet metal channel for the base of the cooler.  Attach that to the radiator frame and use springs at the four corners of the cooler to hold it into the channel. 
Works for me because it's secure, makes it  quick to remove and it'll shift a bit if necessary due to big bumps or errant Porsches.
See picture 3 above for the details.

No but be super careful drilling the holes in the radiator surround.  I have no idea how close the tubes run to the body but there should be some fin between the body and the tubes.  A shallow pop rivet would hold the channel.  Just look carefully at the edges and determine where the tubes run.
And prove that your hose connections clear the hood hinge rods before you slam the hood, err bonnet... ;D

No but you could melt the solder in the header if you are not careful.

On my Pi Spifire I have a side mounted oil cooler; a bracket is welded to the chassis to mount the botom of the oil cooler. I then fabricated a radiator cowling in aluminium and attached the top of the oil cooler to the cowling.

On the other side of the radiator the K&N air filter is mounted for the PI cold air feed.

All seems pretty secure

Archived