Re-locating Fuses, Relays etc.

yorkshire_spam

Hi Sam,
I have used the same fuse/relay box x 2 on my spit mk 3. Would have preferred one with a lid, but haven't had any problems yet. It's mounted where the old dynamo regulator was. I could have used another set of fuses - and have an original horn relay and OD relay fitted too.

Fuses are (from memory...) : Main beam relay, dipped beam relay, OD, Radio and two brown wires (one for main light switch and one for ignition switch) that are not fused pr. original. There is another inline fuse at the MJ + an over voltage protection circuit from Linear Electronic (a friend of mine fried the processor chip in his MJ lite box due to a faulty generator - repro crap.....)

That's a nice neat set-up.
I'm planning to fuse the lights and introduce relays into the headlamp circuits so that they can be uprated and maybe put a "master" fuse in both the perm. live and live on ignition circuits.
With 4 relays and 12 fuses I should just about have enough.
Your positioning looks more accessible than mine, but I'm not happy about having mine under bonnet without them having a lid/casing.

6797 wrote:
...without them having a lid/casing.

Agree. But wanted to have good access to the fuses, so one day (...) I will make a cover in acrylic or pvc.
MJ box and edis module mounted inside though.

If I was redoing it, I would have made a complete new wiring loom after my own spec.

This is mine , i just connected up the existing wires from the old to the new .. then 2 fuses for headlight , foglight , radio/interior light, central locking ..  ;)

Now it's full , so maybe i better installed a bigger one .. but everyone makes stupid mistakes  ;D

4540 wrote:
Wimpus, did you split the feeds to the original fuses and have one new fuse for each of the feeds?

If so care to share wire colours of old wires to new values of fuses?

This looks nice and neat and something i would be interested in

Thanks

Jamie

i just taken the old wire's of the existing fuse box & fit them to the new one .. you can go from 3 fused to 6 or something if you split everything ( something i did'nt do ) , i just run 3 feeds from the battery for radio/ extra interior lights and two for the headlights  :)

normally for the wire color's & co you can find the electrical diagram for a spitfire  :)

I got rid of the relays on the bulkhead and put relays and fuses on the passenger side A-panel under the dash but above the parcel shelf.
This might be difficult if you have more trim here.
I still have the original 3-fuse box, but as I have added relays and fuses for main and dip beam, I have re-wired the original side light fuse so it is in the live feed to the master light switch, protecting the master switch, dim-dip switch, and associated wiring, which was previously unfused.
Additional fuses for: Main, dip, OD, fan, radio.
Relays for: Main, dip, OD, fan, horn.