Again wiring probs!!

system6

Hi All.....(GT6 MK3)....After the success the other day with the replies to my wiring probs , yesterday i somehow :B , managed to melt 2 earth wires  :B in the wiring loom (under the dash)  :B , i've followed and removed the tape , the earths wire shearth has completly melted leaving bare wires touching lots of other wires in the loom but all looks OK ,I HOPE :o :B  , i am at present charging the battery for the second time the first time it was charged the battery dis-charged in about 30 secs :B, (1)should i replace the loom completly and all the cost that comes with it? , and any idea where and how the battery may-be being dis-charged ,
                       Thanks ALL ..From one completly fed up dude :'(   :'(

Do you have a wiring diagram?

I've selectively replaced individual wires in the Spitfire loom to up-rate or lengthen (but not because of melting!) - it's a lot of work, but IMHO worth it.
The big issue is why it melted in the first place?!

If possible, remove all fuses and switch everything off. Stick a high current ammeter in the battery feed line, re-add fuses and look for a sudden spike in current?
That ought to get you started in tracing the fault?

Yorkshire-spam...Don't now why it melted...poss i left one of the flasher units (the one in the engine bay) resting on the old type bare battery earth wire ? , i also had a few wires in the center section of the dash loose hanging about (its a resto project so refitting the wiring loom etc) , and every thing was going ok , i just don't now what happen!!......still waiting for the battery to fully charge at the moment its charge to 9 volts but not even a flicker of light from the side light bulbs,....even though its not fully charged i would have expected at least a flicker of light to give me a bit of confidance that all is ok...i 'll give it a few more hrs and try again ...i will report back later. :o :o :o :o

Discharging a battery in 30 mins means  alot of current. Iwould guess if you have loose wires that one of them touched the body and caused a short circuit.

Before reatching the battery check to see if any cables are touching the bodywork. I woukd recomend using insulation tape to cover any bare wires.

Before reataching the battery switch everything off and if you have a multimeter measure the resistance between the battery connectins on the cat without the battery connected. Dont do this with a battery connected it wont work and might damage the meter. You should see a high resistance greater than 1k ohm, if its lower than this especially if its much lower then dont connect the battety search the loom till you find the short ciruit.

Regards,
Andrew