Herald 12/50 wheels / tyres

307e

Just bought a Herald 12 /50 in good order. I would like to fit slightly deeper dish steel wheels to it retaining the chrome hubcap as in Lotus Cortina MkI. I've seen a number of Heralds wearing wider steels. Researching this, I gathered that the estate version has slightly wider wheels as standard than the saloons. Is this true and is it a "noticeable" difference; ie:- outward dish?

Also spotted these fellas....http://www.bandedsteels.com who make banded steels to order. I ran a Ford Anglia on 6" banded steels many moons ago, but some say they are illegal now or at least an MOT failure. Anyone shed some light on these  questions?

Thanks,

Steve.

At one point I had a few sets of those hubcap wheels. However, most were bent, and I ended up with just 3 sets out of 22 wheels.
Moral is check they are not bent, not obvious normally, need to be turned and some have 1/2" of runout. Expect to pay upwards of £200 a set.

If you want the 4.5J wheels, they are much much easier to find. Fitted to Herald estates, but also all vitesses and MK1+3 GT6. Maybe MK3 spitfire? but not sure.
Not as deep a dish as the 5.5J ones though.

Banded wheels? No idea!

Nothing wrong with banded wheels if done correctly.

It is the ones done incorrectly that have caused the problems.

That comnay seem to be doing it correctly judgingby the info on teh site.

Though they do seem to condone the stretching of inappropriate tyres over the big fat rims.

Cheers

Colin

Archived