AGC

Morning all

I would like your opinions please.

I want to change the tyres on my Mk3 spit because I don't know their history and they are looking a bit worn. I have standard steel rims which I will be using for the next year or so and then Im changing to wire wheels when I have saved up the money. At the moment I have Goodrich 145/80/R13 on the front and firestone 145/R13/74S on the rear, do you think this is a good combination? I would like to go a bit wider but what is the maximum size I could go to so they still fit within the wheel arches?Also, as I hope to go wire wheels in the future (which will probably need tyres with inner tubes) can you suggest a make and type of tyre that would be suitable??

Thanks

Andrew

1. Think carefully before fitting wires :-/ (unless for show purposes) Check out the various posts about the pros (looks) against the cons (a few)

2. If they are standard wheels, the "best" size is probably 155/80 13. 175/70 will fit (but make sure you have the 4.5j wheels, should be stamped on them) but they are a little wide really. I have also seen 165/70 fitted, but not recently?

Best makes? Usual suspects, Michelin, and I am thinking of Goodyear efficient grips. Uniroyal are good in the wet, but try to avoid the "budget" end of the market.

Biggest problem with our type of cars (eg relatively low mileages) is that the tyres get old before they are worn out.

Not sure there are any tyres made that are labelled as suitable for use with tubes......but people seem to fit tubes to them anyway. see above about cons....

cliftyhanger wrote:
1. Think carefully before fitting wires :-/ (unless for show purposes) Check out the various posts about the pros (looks) against the cons (a few)

Yes. More cons: Wire wheels contribute to global warming and have caused some of the trouble in the middle east.
More info here on why James Bond didn't really have them on his DB6 (he had revolution 5-spokes.)
http://www.mwsint.com/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=1

AGC,
I'm amazed that no one has linked you to the equally amazing "Mintylamb" Wheel'n'Tyre Comparorama website: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm
With that and just a ruler you can see for yourself what will fit.
But remember, the wheel offset is not included in the system!

Click on the Automotive button to see all the other handy caculators that James has put online for us!
JOhn

Hello Smithy,

"More info here on why James Bond didn't really have them on his DB6"

I couldn't see that in the link, but also, I don't remember James Bond having a DB6, are you thinking of the DBS?
Apart from a few serious club racers I haven't seen a DB4/5 or 6 on anything but wire wheels.

Alec

cliftyhanger wrote:

2. If they are standard wheels, the "best" size is probably 155/80 13. 175/70 will fit (but make sure you have the 4.5j wheels, should be stamped on them) but they are a little wide really. I have also seen 165/70 fitted, but not recently?

Best makes? Usual suspects, Michelin, and I am thinking of Goodyear efficient grips. Uniroyal are good in the wet, but try to avoid the "budget" end of the market.

Biggest problem with our type of cars (eg relatively low mileages) is that the tyres get old before they are worn out.

Not sure there are any tyres made that are labelled as suitable for use with tubes......but people seem to fit tubes to them anyway. see above about cons....

Thanks for the info, Im probably going 155/80........ 3.5J wheels so think this is wide enough.
Re your pros and cons for wire wheels.... Will take a close look at this, thanks for the heads- up

3.5 is incorrect, that is herald sized. The spitfires came with 4.5j. Worth seeking out I think.....
Apart from the worries of worn splines (check that.especially if considering secondhand) the worst part is cleaning wires. Really, I know smithy likes a good bit of scrubbing, but really not my cuppa.
Did I mention the wobbly side of things?

Been looking at pros and cons
For me the pros are they are so pretty and set the car off a treat.
The cons, as I see it are
THE PRICE
THE CLEANING AND GENERAL MAINTENANCE
THE RIDE QUALITY (POSSIBLE WOBBLE)

All of the above I can live with

Have I missed anything??