Vitesse2l

Time to fit new rubber to my everyday 2000...

Anyone got any thoughts on where to go and what to get?

Just the ordinary 175 80R13's and a pack of hen's teeth please.

Been quoted £65 for Michelin by my local friendly MOT place.

Cheers!

PS Don't want to change the wheels or grind the arches or anyfink like that...

Most decent tyre places will be able to source 175x13s for about �45 - �50 each.  Kumho seem popular, mine are Maxxis and are pretty good.

Don't be fooled into buying van tyres!

I've heard that 185/70x13s are more commonly available and cheaper than the 175s although they are very slightly smaller in overall diameter.

I think there is a better choice if you go to 14 or 15" wheels but to be honest, I prefer the look of the mk2 metal hubcaps.

www.blackcircles.com have some 175/80x13s for £36 apiece

Thanks for the pointers, Sorbs.

My MOT place said he could get van tyres but would not fit them on safety grounds.

I have found some 175/80x13's at my local ATS for £47 each, so your price range was bang on! Had to order them in though. They did suck their teeth at the mention of the size!

Cheers!

So what do/did these fit?

I searched and got "please check your tyre size".

And a site in the US - calls them Trailer Tires.

My MOT place offered to fit tyres if I found some. Small friendly firm. I always pay up quick and they seem to go the extra mile in customer service. Don't get much business fixing my Triumphs though!

Cheers!

I've used http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ in the past - fine if you have a friendly independent around the corner.

Plenty of 175/80/13s on there (make sure you drop the speed rating - to 118MPH - or you will think they don't have any when they actually hon't have any 140MPH ones!).

£30 for Kumho, but I'd probably go £36 for Toyos

Vitesse2l wrote:
So what do/did these fit?

I searched and got "please check your tyre size".

And a site in the US - calls them Trailer Tires.

185/80 x 13 Standard fitment on PI's. Thats why everbody changes the wheels on them, those tyres are like rocking horse poo.  ??)

Quick follow up -

I now have a set of Maxxis all round. The ATS chap even managed to refit the hubcaps properly (I have the old chrome ones). I do need to get the tracking checked though.

Went for MOT yesterday and only needed some welding (which I did this morning) so that's another 12 months sorted.

My MOT man pointed out an oil leak through the pressure switch. I do like easy fixes. The car has been marking it's spot in front of my house...

I must give the 2000 some love this year. It's been somewhat neglected and really deserves better treatment!

Cheers!

Archived