LIGHTS/Wiring PROBS PROBS

system6

:o :oHi,.. ONCE AGAIN  8).....Next Problem.......Resto Mk3 GT6......Light rocker switch?....Symbols....Big light symbol when depressed Dipped main beam and side lights on ? ,...Small light symbol when depressed lights all off?...... when rocker switch in middle position  just  the side lights on?.......Left stalk on steering wheel ,  3 positions ? , (1) full beam? and (2)flash full beam? ,(3) OFF ?.......
                                                Struggling at the moment ...PS also the just right side front and back side lights i can't get the lights on left side lights front and back are ok......been on this the last week but no joy , I know theres a few probs here but any help will be most appreciated
                                                             Thanks
                                                                            J

Not quite. The lighting stalk on GT6s (and Heralds, Vitesses and Spitfires up to early 1500?) is on the left and has down for dip, up for main. Well, actually,
- early cars (Mk1/2 GT6, Mk1-3 Spitfire, Heralds, Vitesses) have a three position stalk
      top = sidelights only
      middle = main beam
      bottom = dip beam
- Mk4 Spitfire and Mk3 GT6 had only two positions
      up = main beam
      down = dip beam

In both cases, pull to flash (although some early Heralds may not have had that)

Thanks Chaps ..thats cleared that up for me :)

Brilliant Forum...I'd be lost with-out it.

Cheers ALL

Sounds like you have a early 3 position stalk on a later car that should have a 2 position stalk.

Nothing more disconcerting than hacking around a country lane at 60mph (legally) in the dark and going from full beam to dip, missing the position and ending up with just sidelights Aghhhh!

Richard_B wrote:

Nothing more disconcerting than hacking around a country lane at 60mph (legally) in the dark and going from full beam to dip, missing the position and ending up with just sidelights Aghhhh!

I drove all the way from Stranraer to Stirling a few years back, doing just that in a Mk1 GT6. Full beam to sidelights and back, instead of full to dip… :)

Richard_B wrote:

No? What about hacking down a windy country A-road (A361 near Chipping Norton, for those who know it) in the dark in an 1850 Dolomite when suddenly all the electrics cut out - no lights, no engine, back out of overdrive? It all returned after a second or two, but I'd say it was pretty disconcerting :)