Exhaust Wrap Advice

Alfie

The reason i am thinking of fitting the wrap is to eliminate a heat source which i think is possibly causing fuel to vaporize in the intake manifold when the engine is up to temperature. The problem i have is if the engine is switched off once up to temperature then i try to re start it won't i have to leave it 30 mins or so before it will start so i thought by wrapping the manifold it would cool the engine bay down.

Better than a wrap would be a heat shield, to protect the float chambers from the naked exhaust headers.

Even better would be some way of recirculating the fuel, as in Pi and modern fuel injection systems, so that the heat sink of the fuel tank can absorb and prevent vapourisation.

Apart from it's ineffectiveness, the wrap does strange things to manifolds. I suspect that the surface goes anaerobic - no oxygen - when all in contact with the steel is used up and the wrap prevents more getting in, because when you take it off there are all sorts of unusual colours and ant corrosion flakes off, more like magnetite Ferric)  that ordinary ferrous rust.

John

it will but there is a possible issue with wrap on stainless manifolds in that it means the steel is subject to much higher temperatures that would normally be radiated away(into your fuel system hence the vapour locking)and this can make the steel go brittle and possibly lead to cracking or disintegration.
I have made a heat shield from ally sheet that wraps around most of the manifold and goes some way to reduce radiating heat.
you can also wrap the float chambers in high heat insulating material foil/matting type with the foil outwards.
I ran a fuel return pipe after the carbs back to the tank to help keep the fuel flowing and not soak up unwanted heat,it will need a restrictor in it so the carbs still get enough fuel.

^^ I must type faster,john beat me to it.

I have a ally heat shield fitted covering the carb float chambers etc maybe i need to look at a shield between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold.

Is a none starter when hot fuel vaporization a common problem with the GT6.

But Alfie, you WANT the fuel to vapourise in the intake!

An air gap is the best heat shield, better than any wrap.   BMW use a second steel pressing around their V8 downpipes, not to stop other items being heated but to get their catalyst up to temp the quicker.   The pressing adds notni g to insulation except a 3.5cm air gap.

For carbs, I use a sheet of alloy, mounted by being sandwiched between carbs and manifold and extended downwards as far as CAD (Cardboard Assisted Design) indicated..  Simple and seems to work well.

John

I assume that the carbs are not mounted directly to the inlet manifold but have the thermal spacers fitted, as well as the exhaust heat shield. Also, look to see how the fuel pipe is routed and make sure that it is not near any sources of heat.

Quoted from esxefi
it will but there is a possible issue with wrap on stainless manifolds in that it means the steel is subject to much higher temperatures that would normally be radiated away(into your fuel system hence the vapour locking)and this can make the steel go brittle and possibly lead to cracking or disintegration.

Could not agree more.

Laurence

Quoted from esxefi

Could not agree more.

Laurence

Ha ha Laurence...apparently you can!

Wrap is very expensive (you'll need loads!) and mine started to fall apart so took it off. I have moved my fuel supply pipes to the rear of the engine and I think that helps keep the fuel cooler, electric fuel pump helps as well.

The fuel line is re routed to the back of the block which is close to No 6 cylinder exh manifold pipe which is where i think the problem may be, also dusz has pointed out there should be thermal spacer's between the carbs and manifold is a thermal gasket ok or do you mean a thicker block type insulator.