Acclaim exhaust

scg

Right, success!! I have a new workshop! Lovely location on a farm in the middle of no-where(ish). I take possession of it on Sunday (1st May). There IS work to do before I move in - update electrics, lighting and slap some paint about the place, but importantly,it's dry and a nice big space, with no restrictions on what time I can work and who I can have there. It's got CCTV too so a bit of security is nice.

I won't be moved in until the end of May realistically, but from then onwards I will be happy to do this project!

So, tasks in hand;

Barry or anyone with an Acclaim, can you please confirm what size the bracket on the front of the block can take? There is no point in me using 44.4mm tube if that won't fit in the clamp, or through any of the other areas.

Simon (or anyone else) - If I use your car as a 'template' for the prototype system I will be more than happy to help you get back home, either giving a lift back some of the way or just to a train station etc.

In terms of material, using stainless will make it a much more expensive proposition. Would it be worth while doing a short run in mild steel, seeing how they sell and then investigate making a run in stainless then? Or would this be likely to counter that and in fact we'd end up with a load of Acclaims with good mild systems and no customers to want stainless?

One thing worth investigating is how many Acclaims are still on the road? Howmanyleft says 170. Surely there must be more than that out there?

Good news on the workshop, Jon.
I think you have hit the nail on the head that a run of mild steel exhausts would dent the demand enough to make a second run in stainless unviable, and that everyone would prefer stainless even if it costs more. Happy to be corrected on that via feedback, but I don't really want to stand behind a run of mild steel exhausts and have them take up permanent residence in my garage while everybody waits for the stainless version. So my money would be on a run of five in stainless with the flexi-joint as Barry described, either flanged or sleeved as you think appropriate. If you could do them for £300 each, then I reckon it is worth going ahead.

And Pawel – I expect you will get better answers from people who know a lot more than me, but I was told that a MkI Civic back box will fit, but that the entire exhaust will be too short. Unfortunately I don't know just where the inches are lost. I was also told that a Mk2 Civic exhaust is longer and might fit, though.  

Also, that link is for a company in America I think, so they will be LHD type (If there is any difference). Also, they have a Cat, and I don't think the Acclaim was ever fitted with a Cat. It could be a way forward.

Okay Simon, I will focus my attention on making stainless exhausts, with the understanding that the materials and labour will be more costly. For instance, when welding stainless, it should be back purged, which means that gas useage is much more than mild.

Thanks Jon, you will have to let people know when you need the exhaust to copy and the car to trial fit. In the meantime, anyone who is interested around the £300 mark for a full system as discussed, do let me know.
Also, you mentioned the flange size earlier. I have just measured the one on my car and it is about 79mm between bolt centres. Perhaps somebody with one off the car could give you a more exact measurement if you needed it to help with the planning?

Well, I had a set back on the workshop I was getting - a set back that means I can't have it any more BUT the guy I was going to rent it off has found me something else, possibly even more suitable. Unfortunately though, it won't be ready for me to take tenancy in until the start of June, and then it'll need painting and wiring etc... So this has set the project back somewhat, but it'll still happen as far as I'm concerned!

Anyway, The main thing I need to know is what size of tube can pass through the clamp on the front of the engine block, just after the manifold - downpipe joint, as to some degree that will determine what size pipe I can use - either that or make special clamps for the stainless exhausts.

Johnny, I hope you will get your workshop sorted out soon. Have you considered using flexible stainless steel mech connectors? They seem to be the ideal solution to a manifold connection problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-.....7:g:SmIAAOxy06RRG57B

As for the parts, I am driving my acclaim to to Poland again. She will stay there for 6 weeks, will get a new paint, undercover etc (only 600 quid for the whole job ) in the while I will be welding the exhaust by myself.
I found this supplier on ebay, he seems to have very good prices for stainless steel, maybe it will be worth to have a look at it.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/gktrading-shop

If there is not hurry, and you would need to get parts from him, then I can bring them while driving back to UK in second half of June.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone - I'm moving workshops this weekend - got a good chunk done last night and today, so hopefully I'll get over there completely in the next two days.

That being the case it won't be too long until I can start looking at getting these exhaust pipes done!

Will post again when I'm settled in!