Fitting new brake pistons

bluelighttaxidriver

Latest box of goodies arrived from Canley Classics this week..  :) Bit depressing how small a box £500 odd adds up to..  :-/
Couple of questions.. Rebuilding my callipers with stainless pistons. Do I need to use any kind of grease when inserting? Or do they go in with just a smear of brake fluid on them.
Also... On the front stub axle, item 138559 (water shield) is no longer available anywhere. Is there something else that can be used, or have people just done without..?
And... Done away with the rotoflex, & treated myself to a cv conversion kit  :). Having real trouble finding the spacers for setting the end float. Any ideas..?

Probably many more questions once I start assembling, but that's all I can think of at the moment..
Many thanks.

8730 wrote:
Latest box of goodies arrived from Canley Classics this week..  :) Bit depressing how small a box £500 odd adds up to..  :-/
Couple of questions.. Rebuilding my callipers with stainless pistons. Do I need to use any kind of grease when inserting? Or do they go in with just a smear of brake fluid on them.
Also... On the front stub axle, item 138559 (water shield) is no longer available anywhere. Is there something else that can be used, or have people just done without..?
And... Done away with the rotoflex, & treated myself to a cv conversion kit  :). Having real trouble finding the spacers for setting the end float. Any ideas..?

Probably many more questions once I start assembling, but that's all I can think of at the moment..
Many thanks.

You can use the red rubber grease on the pistons and on the seals etc, however when I fitted mine I just soaked my seals in brake fluid and smeared by pistons in brake fluid.

Also found this in regards to the water shield. Looks to be unavailable since 2011, maybe longer! http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1323196622/ Try giving spitfire graveyard a call?

(On the front stub axle, item 138559 (water shield) is no longer available anywhere)

My new wheel bearings came with the water shields, Although the felt pad on the new ones are too thick. I pull the felt out of the retaining ring and slice it in half with a sharp blade. The retaing ring is also a couple of thou too big in diameter so i reshape the profile of the edge with special flat end pliers which then allows you to nock them in.
Or you can reuse the old ones,

You got me doubting myself. Just been out & checked my pistons. The 16PB stainless pistons are slightly taller than the old pistons. Don't fit into the callipers either. B@#$... Looks like I've got old 16P callipers on a mk3 gt6 chassis.
Got sixty quids worth of stainless pistons going cheap if anyone wants them...  :-/