lexi

Hi,
I was told by my MOT man that my little end bearings have gone west. There has been a `tappety` noise since an overheat back in the summer. I have since solved the overheating problem, new core plugs, a thorough flush and a new head gasket etc etc.
My question is , can you take out the engine and remove the pistons from the bottom of the engine, or do i have to strip the top end again and remove from the top?
Many thanks in advance.
Alex
P.S. I should mention its a mk1 2000 engine with domed pistons in a gt6.

Without an engine in front of me, I'm pretty sure that they have to come out of (and go back in via) the top.
The crank is on the way at the bottom, and removing this would be much more involved than lifting the head off - and even if you did this and took them out from below, you'd never get a ring compressor in from the underneath to get the them back in again.

michael_charlton wrote:
"Tappety"?
Should be a deeper tone than tappety
Sure the rocker gear is OK,shaft ,rockers etc
Hope your `MOT` man is old enough who knows Triumphs

I would agree with that. The small ends rarely give trouble.

And yes the pistons have to come out the top of the block.

michael_charlton wrote:
"Tappety"?
Should be a deeper tone than tappety
Sure the rocker gear is OK,shaft ,rockers etc
Hope your `MOT` man is old enough who knows Triumphs

Yes, my MOT man is old enough to know Triumphs and has owned several in his time, thats why i go to him. He reckons the rear two cylinders take the brunt of the overheating because thats where the silt builds up and being at the back, they are out of cooling airflow too. This seems feasable to me.
Obviously I dont want to take on all this work if i can help it. Indeed the tone of the noise is a tiny bit deeper than a poorly adjusted tappet but it sounds like a rapid ticking and doesnt seem to alter as the engine warms.
Can the pistons be removed without taking the engine out completely?

1684 wrote:
Get the car on ramps and then when the heads off you will have plenty of room to get the sump off undo the bigends. then push the pistons out through the top.
It's a days work or two if you take your time.

BULLSHIT ! It's not a Spitfire it is a Gt6, not easy at all to get the sump off let alone remove the pistons and rods. Be warned.
Plenty of room MY ARSE.

I can understand you reluctance to remove the engine as it's a heavy old lump.  However, while it it is possible to do the job with the bulk of the engine in the car, as Laurence says, it will be difficult and unpleasant.

Also, if removing pistons you should always refit them with new rings, and that means honing the bores.  Which can also physically be done with the engine in place - but you have to wonder about how you are going to clean the swarf/abrasive dust out properly afterwards.  Not a receipe for a lasting job IMO.

Another thing I find a little odd is the little diagnosis.  I wouldn't normally expect little end damage from overheating.  Piston /ring damage is entirely possible though - mostly likely on no.6.  Cam follower damage is also quite possible though not necessarily directly from overheating.  Is this an engine speed noise or half engine speed noise?  You might end up with more work than expected - which is pretty much normal when dismantling old and well used engines.  Another reason to pull the whole engine first time IMO - as you might well end up doing it later on anyway.

Cheers

Nick

Having just resealed the front crank plate with the engine in situ, i agree with the comments above, not nice, but i had little choice as another lump of rusty metal was in the way the usual hoist location.
I maked a jacking point for the front engine plate, with a bit of 25mm oak board drilled to clear the crank & pick up on the various fasteners at the front of the engine, the board was proud of the anti roll bar by about 2" enough to get a jack on it, i did have other back up stands in place just in case it broke!
RR