carlton x

Be VERY careful when fitting these Pop Rivet Clips as mine were an extremely hard material so when the Rivet Gun gets close to the final point where it snaps the rivet you have to apply quite a lot of pressure to the squeeze of the gun and when it releases the Rivet it is likely to spring back onto the paint resulting in DAMAGE  :((ask me how I know).

After the first Rivet caused me to swear quite a lot (for about half an hour actually) I made a cardboard plate out of an old Cornflakes packet with a hole just big enough to push the Rivet through and taped it to the car with low tack Masking Tape which protects the surrounding area.

This method works a treat. :)

2580 wrote:
Be VERY careful when fitting these Pop Rivet Clips as mine were an extremely hard material so when the Rivet Gun gets close to the final point where it snaps the rivet you have to apply quite a lot of pressure to the squeeze of the gun and when it releases the Rivet it is likely to spring back onto the paint resulting in DAMAGE  :((ask me how I know).

+1 on that one! I got the clips from James Paddocks, only because I was on a job that was round the corner from the place and I wandered in.

There were three different types used, the late ones are made of aluminium and are round, these are often referred to as Tucker's clips. The two earlier designs are made of spring steel and are similar to the clips down the centre of the bonnet, but obviously much smaller.
All three types are currently available, just a heads up in case what you buy looks nothing like what you've take off,

Cheers,
Bill.

garyf wrote:
A usefull tip to stop rust is to dip the end of the Rivet in Rust Proofing fluid, Waxoyl/Dinitrol/Etc.

YOU JUST BEAT ME TO THAT!!
I dip mine in grease then fit. The rivets, that is.
But yes, as everyone has highlighted, watch the rivet gun doesn't bounce back against the shiny new paint when it snaps. It can be nervewracking but with care you'll avoid damage.

• 3 weeks later...

The tapered end of the rear body trim was secured by a stud with a spire clip retaining it. I say was as most seem to have separated from the trim by now. In this case they are liable to float round freely, or to have been subject to some other (often innovative) method of attachment.

If the stud is intact you will need to remove the clip from inside the boot before attempting any of the other clips. The trim can be levered upwards gently near each clip and they will come away easily,

Cheers,
Bill.