Pi steering wheel

Davemate

The boss is specific to the Mk1 partly because of the shroud which even though the spline on the Mk1 and Mk2 are the same,  the plastic bit below the boss where it matches up to the shroud which covers the column are different.  

When you buy a wheel you buy the wheel itself as a generic item, and the shop will look up the wheel that you need for your car and order that in separately.  Mountenay, Springalex and Motolita all do suitable bosses for their wheels (which can be used with others) but they would have to be ordered - I doubt anyone apart from the manufacturer would have one for our cars in stock!

Annoyingly I have a spare Triumph Motolita boss, think it is for the smaller spline TR2-4, Spitty GT6 etc. !

MUT

1344 wrote:
Is there a metal "ring" under the soft stuff and I don't mean the leather cover I mean the main hoop.

Under the cover is a hard spongy type material that forms the shape around a metal ring. I have one somewhere that has a big chunk out of it!

Dave

A lot of other boss will fit the splines, The difference being the thickness. You end up with a gap between the boss and the plastic cowl, mk2, stag, mini, tr7 etc early spitfire/ herald are smaller.
I found on my mk1, I needed a dished 15" wheel to miss the overdrive and indicator stalk,

Cheers Andy

Hey Dave, I have an 'S' wheel on my PI, as the original wheel is knackered and for me too big. There is definitely an ugly gap between the wheel boss and the shroud, and you can see the indicator mechanism. I think the Mk1 column must be shorter than the Mk2, as the S wheel, even though dished a bit sits too far away for comfortable reach, and like Andy said it is pretty close to the indicator stalk, although it doesn't hit. I have been looking at a Moto-Lita wheel for ages, they say they stock a boss for a Mk1 and a dished wheel to suit, but that's as far as Ive got.
So at a pinch a stag or S wheel will fit, but is not ideal.
Cheers
Josh

If the rim is moving away from the arms then the rivets could have broken.

I had this on my PI steering wheel.  Someone got me some new rivets and I replaced them. I then had to get aldridge trimming to recover the wheel. circa £150.

If you do this replace all 6 rivets (two per spoke)

Richard_B wrote:
If the rim is moving away from the arms then the rivets could have broken.

I had this on my PI steering wheel.  Someone got me some new rivets and I replaced them. I then had to get aldridge trimming to recover the wheel. circa £150.

If you do this replace all 6 rivets (two per spoke)

I recovered mine when I got it,although it was a pain I'd re do it again if I have to.

I still keep coming back to the idea of stripping it compleatly then replace the rivits or weld it up and then have a Bakelite rim moulded onto it, no real need to have leather cover then 😀
I would have thought it would be stronger if the rivits are replaced with a weld and with a Bakelite rim.
Don't suppose it will be cheap though