Big Steering Wheels

Lord Sorbington

If you're really desperate, Ihave at least one spare one kicking around which may be better than yours - although I don't know without checking, as it's been off the car for years as I hate those bloody awful big steering wheels
I much prefer the wooden-rimmed shirt button I have now, as it saves having to go to the gym  :D

Been trundling around in Jemma's 1500 for the last couple of days and the one thing I can't get used to is the size of the steering wheel.
You really are a weirdo, aren't you Sorbs??  ;)

My old 2000 had exactly the same cracks.........don't panic at all, there is a huge piece of metal just there. It's cracked as the wheel is meant to flex a bit and with age the bakerlite coating hardens and then cracks rather than flexes.

Ignore it.

Or, have you thought about fitting a non PAS MKII 2500 wheel. Looks like the small S wheel I gave you, but the same size as your existing. Also, MKI Stag wheel the same, looks nicer, still big but has full metal spokes.............

I love the big wheels too. With the painted rim, not a squashy sponze modern thingy. It's part of the fun driving these old beasts.
There's one in the Hillman Imp too which in such a small car really looks ridiculous - but I like it (even exchanged the after market Moto Lita for the original wheel).

One of the first changes I made to my 2k was to swap the bus wheel for a Moto Lita!

I don't pamper my car and cover quite a lot of ground.  After 250 miles of holding a rock-hard, unforgiving plastic bus wheel my hands were hurting so I went for something with some padding.

That's why they had those sprung wheels, like the original TR4 wheel.
I guess replacing the rubbers in the suspension by nylon does make it a bit worse too.
Oh - I do not exactly pamper my 2500 - 80.000 kms in three years. All with the plastic steering rim, but with rubber bushes!

Mj17 wrote:
One of the first changes I made to my 2k was to swap the bus wheel for a Moto Lita!

I don't pamper my car and cover quite a lot of ground.  After 250 miles of holding a rock-hard, unforgiving plastic bus wheel my hands were hurting so I went for something with some padding.

It hurt your hands??!!!  That's why I have one of those pink fluffy covers from Halfords on mine, extra padding.  ;D

Archived