Curtis1360Barry

Moss used to sell them, I presume they still do. I take it you mean a pair of weber 40's?? There was a chap selling a single weber 40 on a manifold for a 1300 engine here
http://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22709

I would add that to make a real difference you also need a cam swap and head work, otherwise you will make a bit more power and use a lot more fuel. Webers generally added once the engine itself is sorted.

Hello Curtis,

I presume you are running a road car, in which case, save your money as there will be no benefit. On a racing engine, twin DCOE Webers give a marginal power gain at high revs over properly sized twin S.U.s, normal road engines even if mildly 'warmed' do not benefit from them apart from the appearance.

Alec

Twin 40 Webers on a standard 13/60 engine will increase induction noise and fuel consumption, but not alot else.

If you are keeping the engine standard or near standard then the log manifold and HS4 SU from a Dolly 1300 or better (but much rarer) the HS6 from a 1500 is an improvement on the original Stromberg.  I'd probably use an HIF 44 in place of the HS6 though.

Alternatively a pair of SU HS2s from a Spit Mk3 or 4 will go on fairly easily.  Not sure they'll add much to a standard 13/60 though.  I have a pair of these if you're looking......

A good while ago now I had a 1300 Herald with a fairly highly tuned engine.  I experimented with single SU (HS4 & HIF44), 2 x HS2 (1.25") and 2 x HS4 (1.5"). Both single carbs gave better bottom end and economy, with the HIF44 also easily equaling the twin HS2 for top end.  The 2 x HS4s only really gained over 6000rpm, but then that engine revved to 7k.  I only tried twin 40s briefly: they were borrowed and although they also came from a Triumph 1300, it was more of a race tune and they didn't really add much to mine apart from the aforementioned induction noise (nice) and epic thirst (not so nice).

Nick

Hello Curtis,

you seem pretty set on these? Yes a decent head with larger valves, a sports cam and decent exhaust system will do the job, but in reality very little gain over the understated S.U.. A simple but effective carburettor especially for driveability due to it's variable choke.

Alec

Hello Herald,

not such a modern idea, the works Minis used motorcycle carburettors years ago. I'm surprised that modern motorcycle carburettors are more like car ones rather than the more efficient Amal of years ago, which did not have a butterfly, the only obstruction at full throttle being the needle, unless you had the GP version which had the needle offset from the choke so there was no restriction whatever at full throttle. (Horribly expensive to buy though!)

Alec

• 2 weeks later...

4535 wrote:
Hello
Anyone know where I can pick up a inlet manifold for twin weber 40 for my herald 13/60?
And do they make a lot Of difference as I'm running a single su at the moment!
Thanks In advance
Curtis

I have a coated set that I won't using. Where are you located?