large SU carburetors in mk3 GT6

Felix

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of running "large SU carbs" in a mk3 gt6? There's an interesting looking mk3 for sale in Folkestone with a "sculpted" bonnet that has an extra bulge to accommodate the huge SU's. I haven't seen these before so I wondered if it was a fairly common mod before I go to see the metal in the flesh. The car is on CarandClassic website:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C472534#

Thanks,

Felix

Looks like somebody has been daft enough to fit the carbs and manifold of a 2000 saloon. They look like hs4 carbs to me....
No larger than the original Stromberg's. The real issue though is the inlet manifold, difficult as the picture is not too helpful, but a gt6 one steps down.
I am also a bit iffy about the description, I thought 1972 cars were rotoflex? It would vbe wory checking in derail, as good money is being asked for the car, and apart from the extra bonnet bulge (that surely detracts from the vehicle?) You need to be aware of what commission numbers were at the change from rotoflex cars to non-roto. Changes included, I believe, gauges, seats and probably a few other details.

Quote:
She's actually a 1973 model, but because her chassis was laid in 1972 the DVLA have accepted that she can be registered on a 1972 plate and hence be tax exempt (this is all detailed on the V5 registration document).
   Huh?   :-/

Someone in our area fitted a saloon manifold to a blue MkIII GT6, but you have to machine (lots) off the inlet manifold side to change the angle. Not sure how much was taken off, but he said it was pretty thin on the bottom of the flanges.

Sounds like a bit if a "bitza " to me, I wouldn't be surprised if the incorrect carbs are due to it having a saloon engine, the registration, year and early /late gt6 piece all sounds a bit confused and dodgy . Ands as for that awful bonnet bulge . I'd steer well clear.....