Fuel tank leaking

gfiandy

MikeyB wrote:
I've always worried about tank sealing since I read somewhere that nasty european petrol (or rather the ethanol in it) can cause problems by dissolving it   :-/

i asked the guy from who i bought it from and it was a new product that worked with the newer fuel .. it also says that on the thin where it was in  :)

Well I couldn't resist it, I cut the blister off to see the condition of the tank behind. First appolagies to who ever said this was a repair patch and I disagreed. Having removed it, it looks like it is plastic padding as it is very flexible. I can't imagine what the PO was thinking repairing a hole in a tank with plastic padding.

The other thing I discovered was the plastic padding was still holing quite a lot of the leak, it started seeping much quicker. So my hand was forced on draining the tank. Fortunately I have two petrol cans a 1 gallon and a 4 gallon so I emptied the good fuel in them into my Toyota. I drained the tank by using the 1 gallon tank under the car, fortunately there are a couple of rubber joints so I released one of these and drained the fuel. I used a pipe clip to stop it when I needed to empty the 1 gallon into the 4 gallon. By three gallons in it stopped weaping, I took a further gallon onto be sure.

Fuel tank sealer, hmmmmm?

A tank containing inflammable and explosive fuel, that is so corroded that it has a hole in it.   No puncture incident, just rusted out.  No idea of the extent of the corrosion, no internal inspection (not possible without fibre-optic kit), no pressure test.   And you are willing to trust your life to a plastic sealer that you hope will cover up all the holes and potential holes.   A sealer that you "slosh around" inside the tank, in the hope that it recahes all the parts in sufficient quantity.   A sealer that may not remain intact in the face of alcohol containing fuel, and may just burst in the face of an impact anywhere on the car.

Come on, guys!   I know that a new tank isn't cheap, but neither are new Triumph owners - we need you and don't want to lose you.   Please, save up and buy a tank!

John

GT6 tanks are growing rare, & it seems modern alcohol-heavy fuels are rusting steel tanks out faster - I wonder if any of our favorite suppliers might think of offering replacement tanks in plastic like modern cars have?  Or would that part be subject to prohibitive certification requirements?

I extended my tank with by three inches to give a larger capacity and found I had a few pin holes in the weld, so sealed the tank, no issues, slightly different with a rusty tank, but I would open the hole up and weld before the sealant is applied, not everyone can pay out 200 for a new tank, but as I said before I gave a decent tank away they do not go for much on the bay,

Rob

New tank on order from Rimmers + new gasket from fuel sensor. Shoudl be here for the weekend. I decided that as I could afford a new tank it made sense from a safety point of view.

Is there anything I should know about fitting it or removing the old one?

Regards,
Andrew

Spent yesterday trying to fit new tank, it doesn't fit, it's the right part I just can't get it to lign up with the mounting holes.

Ia m also unsure that the outlet pipe is secure, it didn't feel tight once done up. Since the old tank fitted fine and showed no signs of distortion I can only assume its because the new tank isn't te right shape.

It looks like the seam is too large and won't alow the tank to go low enough.

I have contacted Moss to ask how to proceed but if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

Photos below:

Hi,

The other bolts are already loose I tried forcing the tank down with the handle of a hammer against the body but was unable to get it anywhere low enough. I don't feel I should modify a very expensive new tank when the origonal fitted fine. Besides if I do modify it and it leaks I am sure I wont be able to return it. I guess I may have to in the end but only as a last resort. I will see what Rimmers have to say on Monday first.

It looks like the bottom seam on the new tank is larger than the old one and is resting on the body work.

As Tim  says, just get a Rat tail,and file an oval hole,
looks like it wont tek much to doo it.

or if ye got a drill and some either bigger drills,then drill em all bigger.
or, you got a HSS burr, they are great for these jobs.

I no itsa pain, getting new stuff that dont fit, but its not that much of a job.

M

Hi, Rimmers have agreed to maintain the warrentee on the tank even if I modify the mounting. So this weekend assuming its not rediculously cold I will modify the fixings. I am tempted to remove the tank and enlarge all the mourning hole by drilling them out larger as this feels like a better fix.

The other thing I would like to establish is the fuel pipe is sealed to the bottom of the tank. The brass retaining collar didn't feel very tight by the time it was fully home. Can anyone think of a way I can test it is sealed without pouring petrol in as if it is not sealed it then becomes a big problem to resolve the issue of the tank has fuel in it.

Regards,
Andrew

Hi, well the tank is finally fitted but it took a lot of modification to get it in. The holes were drilled out by 2mm to the largest bit that will fit my drill, 12mm. Unfortunately this wasn't enough so I used a side cutting drill bit to shape the holes to fit the fittings.

I measured the locations of the holes first and they were all over the place not evenly spaced from the sides even on the same side of the tank.

Once this fitted I tried to fit the filler neck but the tube on the top of the tank was far to long so the filler neck hit it before it was flush with the body work. So I had to remove approx a cm off the top of the tube with a hack saw. The cloth was to stop metal swarf getting into the tank.

Rimmers refunded £50 for the trouble, however I would have preferred it if heritage had made it right in the first place. So full marks to Rimmers but no marks to heritage how appear to have done a very poor job on this.

Photos below,