Long range fuel tank

2009poolesparky

I guess you could use a GT6 tank. But may I ask why? you should have enough in a tank for well over 200miles at a time.

A better option may be to get a second spitfire tank, and cut both tanks up to make an extra deep one. The GT6 tank is larger than a spit tank (10 gallons?)

Some Jaguars have dual tanks, with a servo valve at the T-junction between them, so you only draw from one at a time and cans witch to the other when the first runs out.  And, the switch controls which tank sensor is read by the single dash guage.   Guy from Norway, sorry list your name for the moment has this mod on his Herald.
John

Philip has had an aluminium one made to fit in line withe the 2000/V8 system along with non return valves etc
He picked it up on the way down to Dover on the 10CR as he had prepared all the pipework /valve prior
The fuel/mileage/distance rate increasing whereby he would not have had to fill up until he got to Mid/Southern Austria  
I`m sure the same system could apply to the Spitfire, by running one in tandem and lines out the boot to a one way valve so gravity would do the job

No easy way.
You need to remove the tank and drain it. The fuel, if clean, can be reused (so pass it through a filter of some kind)
Once empty give it a hose out, then wash it with hot water and detergent.
Put in some nuts/bolts, a bit of water and a decent shake about to remove any crud. Hose out again.

You could then put in some phosphoric acid (or whatever rust cure stuff you like) in and again move it about to hopefully clean the surfaces.
Another rinse and all should be clean.

In reality once the tank is out and empty it doesn't take long, but is a faff.

I had similar problem when I bought my Gt6 back in 2000. Bits of rust regularly caused the float valve in the carb to stick open and flood. First solution was the in-line filter - worked but filter clogged very quickly needing changing every six months(ish) to prevent fuel starvation.
Eventually I bought a fuel tank repair and seal kit from frost (http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-small-car-tank-repair-kit.html). Not cheap but includes cleaner, rust converter and a sealer that coats the tank insides. Worked very well for me, its been in for many years now and still no bits in the filter and I now only change filter every 2 years.
You have to do it with the tank out of the car, but well worth spending the effort.
Seem to remember key point was to ensure the tank was fully dry of water before attempting to seal. Think I borrowed the wife's hair dryer, but then that cost me a new one!
(HSE note, only use hairdryer if sure all fuel removed - eg by use of the cleaner plus water flushing - don't want fuel fumes to go bang)

Have you got or have access to a cement mixer?
If so wrap the tank in a blanket to prevent damage, then secure it safely into the cement mixer, place some nuts, bolts etc into the tank to clean the crud off, and set it going, come back in 15 minutes, turn it round to do the other end then rinse it out and use the sealer! 🙂