Sorting out the brakes

Davemate

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ted,

"My ambition is to try to blag a TR4 front hub/brake set up from somewhere and see if I can work out how the factory did the mod in 1965 .......!"

What mod was that, fitting TR4 front brakes to a saloon I guess. What was the advantage?

Alec

Dave

You can possibly have the skinny discs off my Mk1, if they are any good, as I am going to Mk2 size. I know it will upset the purists, but I have a pair of recon calipers and a pair of brand new discs sitting in the garage.

Might even be able to find you some old Mk2 discs, if you can find someone with a lathe...

Cheers

Colin

Ordered new track rod ends and pads
The pads they sent are not what I have, it does say on the box "mk1 brake pads only 64-69"

The pads I have look like these ones

So does his mean that I already have the mk2 set up or does it mean I just have the thicker discs but still crappy mk1 brakes ?

Here we go, I think I already know the answer  :(
Front of callipers

Rear of callipers

Under an inch I have to go metric  :B
The measuring thingys just slid off the disc so there's no ware/tramlines,either that or they have worn evenly
Metric

And in oldie world

I'm presuming I have the standard mk1 set up   :-/

Not exactly scientific but
On car
The "pad hole" is five fingers !

The supposed mk1 is only 4 fingers wide,you can see in the previous pictures that it's obvious what pads are fitted to the car. It's impossible to fit bigger pad into the smaller holed calliper

Richard beat me to it.  

Bear in mind that the tolerance on a Mk2 disc is only 2mm wear - ie. 13mm new down to 11mm.

Bloomin pricey too  :-(

I don't think that you could fit Mk1 pads to mk2 calipers.

However I do not know if mk2 bolt straight onto Mk1 uprights or not......

MikeyB wrote:

1) I don't think that you could fit Mk1 pads to mk2 calipers.

2)  I do not know if mk2 bolt straight onto Mk1 uprights or not......

1) I would say not, the pads are way too small
2) if it can't be done then someone has either done the impossible, or they have fitted mk1 discs to mk2 hubs as you can clearly see in the picture there appears to be mk2 callipers fitted to something !

1344 wrote:
Is it possible to just bolt the mk2 calliper onto the mk1 setup,

Probably, doubt the extra 1/16" travel on each piston will cause them to drop out. Just make sure the pads don't get worn to a frazzle.

As I said, I'm sure you could get a S/H setup with reasonable discs quite cheap at somepoint. Try Andy Harrison in Devon?

I think the spiders (VL) are the same part No. for MkI & II.

Not sure if answered yet.

Looking at your pictures you seem to have early discs fitted with later calipers.

I have some Mk2 hubs in the shed which you will need if fitting the thicker discs and the later calipers, if they are in fact ealrier calipers. the size of teh slot in teh caliper will show what is what.

Another another point, people keep referring to Mk1 and Mk2 discs, but later Mk1 have the fatter discs as well, so perhaps just "fat" and "thin" is a better decription. Or "early" and "late".

Or perhaps "type 1" and "type 2".

Cheers

Colin

I have a pair of Mk2 calipers refurbed about 3.5 years ago (new pistons & seals) with 1/4 worn pads.  I also have a pair of used discs.  I had considered these scrap due to rust working across from the OD of the friction surfaces, but they might skim.  I went Stag having found cheap calipers on ebay at the critical moment.

Discs free to collect, calipers need beer tokens to ransome.  PM if interested.

Cheers

Nick