Sorting out the brakes

Davemate

Today I removed he wheels and had a look at the brakes.
I now need some front pads and I would like to fit new discs as they seem a bit thin. How thick are the discs on a mk1 as mine might be ok

Million dollar question
What's the cheapest place or way to renew the brakes on a mk1
Is there a "conversion" that's cheap and easy
If I don't need discs and I only have to get pads then I'm ok  :)

Looks like both front strut gators are split/knackered,is that an MOT fail
Both track rod rubbers are split so again,are they an MOT fail
Other than that things seem ok,just got to relay up the headlights.

Sorry for the poverty plea but cash is a very tight at the moment  :B

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Dave,

from memory, Mk 1 discs are 3/8" (.375") or approximately 10mm in foreign language, the Mk 2 is 1/2". As I had them I have MK 2 brakes on the front of my car, I kept the Mk 1 rear brakes as they are manually adjusted as opposed to the 'automatic adjusters' on the Mk 2 that don't adjust.

Alec

1344 wrote:
Boots on the rack are ok.
Are stag disc and callipers a simple bolt on job
It's the track rod ends and the front suspension insert gator

stag bits bolt straight on but you may need 14" wheels

track rod end boots are available on ebay

strut gaitors should be replaced but are cheap, but the replacements wont last long either  :o

Looks like rimmers are the cheapest at £156 for a pair of standard mk1 discs,pads and a set of rear shoes.
Strut gators £18 pair
Track rod ends £18 pair

So about £200 to sort it all out  :(
I'll have a measure up tomorrow,if my discs are fat enough that will save me a lot as pads and shoes come in at £36 add the gators and rod ends = £72  :)

Mike, if I go down the stag route I'll have to get the callipers as well. I'll keep half an eye out for the stuff for a future upgrade, its just a case of "lack of funds at the moment" so I need to sort it out on the cheap.
Hoping I can just get away with pads and gators !

mikew wrote:

strut gaitors should be replaced but are cheap, but the replacements wont last long either  :o

You will need 14" wheels.

I bought some universal rack gaiters and used them instead of strut gaiters as the "proper" strut gaiters I bought fell apart in a few months.

Nick

mikew wrote:

You will need 14" wheels.

I bought some universal rack gaiters and used them instead of strut gaiters as the "proper" strut gaiters I bought fell apart in a few months.

Nick

Just put the MK2 set up on. The MK1 discs are rubbish. Changed mine to Mk2 discs/calipers etc and they are superb. Thats in competition use as well. My opinion... 14" wheels make the big saloon wooden. I tried it and went back to 13" wheels. Horses for courses. If you want to cruise around 14" wheels( I also tried 15" minilites) also cruising. But if you want handbrake, drive it sideways handling has to be 13" wheels every time.

I await condemnation for my comments!

On my early Mk1 I wanted to keep the original spec. to be in period.  To improve things a bit 20 years ago I got a pair of new Mk2 discs (second hand ones would have done but got them cheap in an autojumble) and had them machined to the Mk1 spec as per the manual.  

The centre of the later disc where it bolts to the hub is beefier than on an early ones which helps get the heat away and I feel it did help a bit when I was using the car on track in demo runs.  Mind you it would probably be simpler just to acquire a late Mk1/Mk2 set up and use that.

My ambition is to try to blag a TR4 front hub/brake set up from somewhere and see if I can work out how the factory did the mod in 1965 .......!

MUT