pancake/k&n filter fuel line

WIMPUS

I had the same problem, I made that one out of some pipe Dad had in his workshop for making some hydralic valve control boxes; its considerably smaller internally than the original trumph one as its designed to run at very high pressures but I think triumph only used the pipe they did as that's what they had available and my engine never seemed to suffer as a result of the smaller pipe.

524 wrote:
I had the same problem, I made that one out of some pipe Dad had in his workshop for making some hydralic valve control boxes; its considerably smaller internally than the original trumph one as its designed to run at very high pressures but I think triumph only used the pipe they did as that's what they had available and my engine never seemed to suffer as a result of the smaller pipe.

i'm going to the local garage to get a new one ( he is really cheap and a good guy ! )  ;)

524 wrote:
Does this help:

Oli

You may want to change that clear pipe at either end and support the metal pipe. The clear stuff isn't petrol safe and shrinks. A previous owner used it under me Herald with no clips, how the hell it didn't leak I'll never know! All I had to do was touch it lightly and it slid along.  :-/

ferny wrote:

You may want to change that clear pipe at either end and support the metal pipe. The clear stuff isn't petrol safe and shrinks. A previous owner used it under me Herald with no clips, how the hell it didn't leak I'll never know! All I had to do was touch it lightly and it slid along.  :-/

i'm going to secure it with some clips .. then need to fit first  :o

Did they sell you those as K&N's? (think)
Even the flat ones are like the cones in Oli's, you can see the folded filtering material.
They definitelly have no foam inside.

Mines just bolted on and I ran the fuel line as before, using one of the bolts to secure the clamp through them.
The only issue i had is that there is no connection for the crankcase ventilation So I had to drill them and install a hose end adaptor.
I'll see if I have some pictures to upload.

4526 wrote:
started this morning cleaning the float's on my carb's

i also was testing if the new pancake airfilters would fit .. i did'nt  :-/ the top screw of the filter is hitting the carb  :-/ :-/

i've sended a email to james paddock ..

Something wrong there...........the filter fronts should not attach at 12/6 o`clock.....they should attach at 9/3 o`clock.......hence then nt touching the carbs

2053 wrote:
Did they sell you those as K&N's? (think)
Even the flat ones are like the cones in Oli's, you can see the folded filtering material.
They definitelly have no foam inside.

Mines just bolted on and I ran the fuel line as before, using one of the bolts to secure the clamp through them.
The only issue i had is that there is no connection for the crankcase ventilation So I had to drill them and install a hose end adaptor.
I'll see if I have some pictures to upload.

K and N`s have a gauze/mesh inner filter that can be washed out with cleaner
The original filter air box had pleated filter material

michael_charlton wrote:

Something wrong there...........the filter fronts should not attach at 12/6 o`clock.....they should attach at 9/3 o`clock.......hence then nt touching the carbs

Except they're not K&N's like yours.

I also had the same issue when I was running one back when I still used a single Stromberg (car came like that). Had to drill a hole in the back and attach the pipe to prevent myself getting gassed. It's cotton in them as well - don't forget to oil it after washing! :)

Which reminds me, I really should fit an air filter at some point. (whistle)

i've also seen some picture that the screws are at other places and not like mine's .. I'm thinking of drilling new holes so it will fit , just waiting for a email from paddocks  ;)

Float bowl at the rear is cleaned out now , just to do the front  :) Also find a bodge and a lot of dirt ..  :B

2053 wrote:
I was going to mention the same thing, they look too shallow to me to get good air flow through and the filtering material, oh well, it will keep gravel out i guess :-/ :-/

will see what they do , my neighbour just helped my with my hardtop fitting and he also said he's pancake's are bigger on his spitfire 1500 (with 1300 engine) ..

ferny wrote:

Cheers Peter, I will change the pipe before my car gets back on the road; its in a lot of pieces at the moment so is a few years away! I never had any problems with the pipe but it had got a bit brittle and was on my ever growing job list!!  :o

Oli