Good Mechanical fuel pump supplier

gfiandy

I have now tried three mechanical fuel pump suppliers, James Paddock, SC Supplies and QH from EBay. All of these suppliers sent the same pump which pushes far to hard on the cam and has ruined it.

I have now spent the best part £100 £17, £45 and £25 respectively and still don't have a pump I am happy to fit to the car. The QH part is the closest to OK but it still has a really rough lever and is 5mm tighter on the cam than the original pump.

Does anyone know where you can get a good mechanical fuel pump for a MK3 spitfire?

Thanks,
Andrew

I have purchase the right part it has the olives and nuts to fit copper pipes and I checked several times that I had the right part number. They are just really badly designed and incorrect tolerance. I do not want to change to a electric pump unless I absolutely have to the MK3 is mostly original and i would like to keep it that way as far as possible.

Below is a link to what these pumps have done to the cam in only about 1000 miles. (I fitted the James Paddoc and SC spares ones one after another since the SC spares one was so much more expensive I hopes it was better but it wasnt) I haven't fitted the QH one as it doesn't seem to be any better. The engine was apart for other reasons which is how I spotted this although even when fitting them I thought they felt to stiff on the cam so was suspicious, hence buying the more expensive version.

What I am looking for is one of the pumps that has the lever arm formed out of a piece of metal such that the surface touching the cam is smooth and beveled (this what the old one looked like) not roughly punched out of a flat piece of steel or a service kit for the older style pump as I still have it.

I fitted a Facet redtop 12v fuel pump on my 1300 and 8 years on its supplying my swirl pot with fuel no issues. Reliability and increased performance less bits to go wrong (mechanical fuel pump has lots of parts that do go wrong) If you insist on keeping the mechanical pump you may have to have the camshaft re ground on that damaged area.

Good luck

Rob

Mike Happy new year mate hope all is well

I may have missed it but if that is happening should you not be using the spacer with that pump?
My original (1500) used a spacer but it was obvious that the new one from Paddocks did not require it and it has been fine for years. Seeing as there are two types mabe you just need to space it a bit.

I've had problems with the six-cylinder mechanical fuel pumps - namely that they leaks terribly. I suspect that an electric alternative is on the cards as, like the OP, I've thrown far too much money at units that aren't fit for purpose.
Is Facet the way to go? And is there a flow rate that I should be aiming for?

I presume you mean you’ve had more than one causing problems? If they leak, from where? I’ve never had one leak but I use the AC glass-dome versions on my GT6.
Find a good glass-top one and replace the valves and seals; should give years of life after that. Chic Doig used to have the refurbishment kit including the brass filter and rubber seals.

I agree with Paudman on the glass dome - never had a leak on the Vitesse (I did rebuild it due to a sticky valve once) but the GT6 with the later type is less-than-wonderful.

As to the Facet pumps - they're basically all rated high enough for a standard GT6. They tend to quote target BHP figures as that's a better indicator of fuel flow than engine size. At least, where I last looked they did, but it was a "motorsport" catalogue :)

Thanks - if I can find a glass-topped pump I'll go with that, otherwise a facet one at some point.
The ones I've had have all leaked from the top - the brass coloured cap, and also where the top and bottom halves join too. I don't mean a gentle seep, I mean pouring out - and it's been three in a row - the trouble is that each time there's been months between purchase and fitting, so I don't feel that I can return them. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I'm not throwing any more cash at those types.