butler89

Brakes not spongy it has new disks, pads, master cylinder. Car will stop just not abruptly enough for me unless lots of pressure is applied to the peddle. Which is why i think a servo would be the answer. ????
regards richard

A servo won't improve poor brakes, however it will reduce the pedal pressure required to stop. Your pads may not have bedded in yet, give it a few miles, however compared to a modern they do require more forceful braking so a proper servo system may help.

drive round for an hour or so doing lots of hard but varied braking. You really need to bed them in properly.

Go along a deserted road braking with your left foot whilst giving it some gas, And long brakes from 60mph to a standstill, that sort of thing.

It may also be that the pads you are are just not that great, so a different sort are needed.

Also make sure there is no run-out on the discs, that won't help either.

Also, what do you normally drive?? Lots of French cars have grossly overassisted brakes, even a servo won't get you close.

Cheers

Colin

It will make for less effort in pressing the pedal.

I don't have a servo on either of my spitfires, nor on my GT6 based kit car. Not found a need for it.

I do though have an enormous one on my Pi saloon, but that is to compensate for the 1 inch master cylinder.

It makes the feel very similar to my Vauxhall Vectra.

With new discs and pads it is going to take some time to bed in. Also did you do any work on teh rears??

If you did they will need adjusting a couple of times in teh first couple of hundred miles.

Cheers

Colin

If you are using the modern standard spec "greased cardboard" pads then yes, they will be terrifying.  Been there.

Before trying a servo, try some Mintex 1144s.  Very much more bite from cold and more bite when hot too.  Bit more expensive but cheaper than a servo.  Don't bother with Green Stuff - nearly as expensive as the Mintex and nearly as rubbish as the greased greased cardboard.  Proper old stock Lockheed asbestos pads are excellent too if you can find them.

If they still need more effort than you are happy with then it'll have to be the servo.

Nick

Standard brakes in good condition work very well so consider all of the advice given so far.

A thing I don't like about servos is that they can disguise the early signs of brake fade so by the time you realise you have fade you can be in real trouble.

this is a pasted copy of the mintex bedding method   not sure about where the 90mph bit comes from ,, di dar di dar
good evening officer......

we run 1144 and a servo ...  well why not,  the servo kit is a universal fits everything or nothing it is not model specific a bag of bracket and tubes you decide how it goes hwere it goes,  shop around eeven MG suppliers some are out there for £100 so do a search before you jump .

the master cylinder changed from 0.7" to 0,625" around when the calipers changed if your replacement is the 0.7 and should be the 0.625" you will get a heavier pedal load ,  worth a check .
pete

Bedding Procedure for M1144 / M1155 / M1166

1) Clean discs with brake cleaner

2) Following initial brake test start with 3 � 4 light applications from 30mph down to 0mph.

After these, follow the steps below according to Material.

M1144: 6 / 7 medium pressure applications 70mph down to 30mph

M1155: 8 / 9 medium pressure applications 90mph down to 30mph

M1166: 9 / 10 medium applications 90mph down to 30mph

When carrying out the bedding process, do not allow the brakes to drag, do not left foot brake. To do so may result in damage to, or failure of the brake system.

Leave the brakes to completely cool.

For Further information please contact Richard Barton on 01274-854030

Archived