quick answer please (brake pipes)

Davemate

Davemate,
Although that is unusual when both parts are metal lines; that type of joint is very much like what is used where the metal line joins to the brake hose. There certainly should NOT be a washer in that joint. Steve's joint is more usual or the alternative of the pipes having the male thread and the union the female thread.
                                                                           Cheers,
                                                                           Paul

The pipe I have had to join is the brake pipe that runs from the 4 way junction at the front down to the back 3 way at the back. On canleys diagram it shows the run has two pipes and are Joined.I did not get pipes from canleys(maybe I should have)I have fitted all the other pipe and the two I have used for that run of pipe match exactly the correct length.
The longer of the two pipes has a male fitting on both ends,which is wrong when you look at canleys diagram,but if ifs ok to just join the two as I have done then it's all ok.

I don't think there is any technical reason not to joint the pipes directly, and I've done it plenty of times without problems.  However I remember being told that it does not meet MoT standards and may be a reason to fail.

The MoT manual gives "inadequately repaired or with unsuitable joint fittings" as a reason to fail - see http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_360.htm

SteveH

I would most certainly NOT join the pipes directly but do what Steve says and use a joiner - which is what I would consider the correct engineering solution.  The problem is that these require the use of identical flares at each end - two double flares as in the upper picture or two single flares as in the second one.

The danger of joining the pipes directly is that they will deform (as they are intended to do) but the great danger - especially with copper pipe - is that they will deform so much that they would block the bore of the pipe restricting flow.  Joining sections are designed so that this cannot happen.

The problem would be greater with copper if joined directly because it is softer and over a period of time could also 'work' so that the joint eases and leaks.  Personally I would never use copper anyway but always use the tougher/stronger cupro nickel pipe - harder to form the flares and bend but unlikely to get damaged if accidentally knocked.

Ted

The pipe is intended to conform against the union, to produce a seal. To do this, the pipe is inherently softer. If you connect two pipes directly, you have identical materials both trying to conform/deform. That becomes an uncontrolled process, chances are it will seal OK, but it just might not....

To echo Ted's comments, copper really is too prone to work hardening in my experience. Many times I've removed copper pipes (fitted by previous owners) to find they crack easily as the unions are undone. No doubt they were fine when installed, but any vibration will cause fatigue. Cunifer is my material of choice for brake lines,

Cheers,
Bill.

I did actually buy two sets of pipes at the time
I have just checked the other set and that also has two pipes that have male fittings on both ends
One to go from the 4 way(at the front) to the master cylinder and the other much longer one must be joined(just like the original fitting)to a shorter peice to reach the 3 way union at the back.So I'll have the same problem when I replace the pipes on my herald
My other option would be to cut the pipe and fit a female end,which would give me two femail ends which I would then mean i could use the connecting peice.
Or can you get a  conector that joins two male fittings

• 4 months later...

Just wondering why the main front to rear brake pipe includes a join anyway?

I am redoing the pipes on my 13/60 (body is off so access is easy) and thinking that a single length of pipe will be far less prone to leaking rather than one with a join in it.

Is the joint there just to make fitting easier?

Chris

I did my Spifire front to back in one piece and its a pig to work with - much easier if it was in 2 parts.
As others have said copper to copper is not good - you must use a joiner - dosen't matter if M-M or F to F.
Dont forget to clip pipe to chassis a the MOT testers seem to be getting tight on that - cable ties are acceptable suprisingly.

shenderson wrote:
The MoT manual gives "inadequately repaired or with unsuitable joint fittings" as a reason to fail - SteveH

That probably applied to the bit of fuel pipe and two hose clips that joined the 2 halves of the front to rear before I replaced it then!!
gone through 3 MOTs like that and I had always assumed that was the fuel line - only realised when I tried to fit an extra fuel filter in the joint  ;D

3459 wrote:
Just wondering why the main front to rear brake pipe includes a join anyway?

I am redoing the pipes on my 13/60 (body is off so access is easy) and thinking that a single length of pipe will be far less prone to leaking rather than one with a join in it.

Is the joint there just to make fitting easier?

Chris

Originally made of steel, much easier to fit in two  :)

• 2 weeks later...

DJB_Harvey wrote:
Even the big saloons had a joiner in the transmission tunnel to make fitting easier ( Mk2's anyway )

They do Dave, it also makes it much easier for retro fitting dual circuit brakes like I have on the pi. :)

Colin.

Archived