Herald/Vitesse Front Brake Pipes

Stu 1986

Hello Chaps, Hope all is well with everyone. :)

Its come to the point in  my restoration where I wish to install my brake lines. As the car didn't come to me with brakes fitted, I have no idea of how the brake pipes connect with the front Calipers. I've got various workshop books, all of which seem to contradict each other with what I can see in the pictures. Would anyone be able to describe, or even better take a quick photo of how the flexible hoses are fitted to the car and Caliper please?

Thanks In Advance for your time and help. S. 8)

Of course, I forgot to add that info! Doh!!

My car is a Hybrid, a Herald 13/60 with a Vitesse MK2 Engine. I'm using the 16PB Calipers also. I had looked at GT6 set up as well, but again there appears to be some difference there too.

Thanks for your help, S.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiandiihydraulicpipes.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/earlygt6.html&category=brakesandbrakecontrols&xsl=diagram.xsl

OK, thats GT6 as its the first diagram I came across, but they are all the same. Rigid pipe>flexi>rigid pipe on caliper

I am syre somebody will have a picture, but you just need to copy the vitesse 2L/mk2 layout

Thanks Cliftyhanger, I had looked at the GT6 diagram but was unsure about the pipe on the Caliper. What it is, I've looked in various Workshop books, and some showed the flexi pipe going straight into the Caliper, whilst others showed the Pipe on the Caliper. Another variation I've seen is where the twisted Flexi pipe bracket is mounted. I've seen some at the rear of the suspension Turret and others on the Front as on the Diagram you directed me to.

Thanks for your help!!  :)

The flexible pipe should connect to a short metal pipe which in turn connects to the caliper.

On GT6/Vitesse 2Litre brakes anyway. Which I think means the front of the turret, 4 cylinder engine brakes have the pipe at the rear of the turret without the short connecting pipe.

Yes, looks like that on my 2L Vitesse only not so clean and shiny  :P  Except that on the drivers side, the hard line should go back over the top of the turret and down behind the front crossmember.  There should be some special clips that hold the pipe in place on the turret.

Nick

OMG!!! Thanks So much for all your help, though I'm unsure which impresses me more, Mike's lovely chassis and suspension, or his garage!! Ha Ha! I'll post some pictures of mine when I've finished my install. Sadly I've discovered one of the bleed Screw shafts on one of my calipers is rusted so I'm not sure what I can do about that at the moment! Thanks agian for all the kind help. S.

Hello all, sorry to bother you again on this matter. Would someone be able to give me the measurements of the L-Brackets the attach to the Caliper please? I've not got any for my Car and as far as I can tell they're not made anymore. I do have some steel that I could shape a pair with though. Thanks Fellas, S.  8)

Archived