THe Maestro

I'm trying to replace my master cylinder and remove my brake servo, however I can't unscrew the copper brake pipe at either end so I need a new length of about 1 meter with the screw-in attachments at either end.  Does anyone know if normal local motor factors are likely to have this or are the screw-in fittings none standard?  All the normal Triumph parts dealers only seem to sell complete kits.

Thinking about it I might as well get some pipe, flaring kit and the screw fittings myself - does anyone know what diameter pipe to buy and the correct screw attachments?

Dave

You really need a spanner with  6 sides,  [ flats ] and a cut oot in it, to get onto the nut,

these darn nuts are very soft, and so easily ..round off,   :-/ :-/

there are some purpose made ones oot there,.

but if ye got an old 6 sided  one, then cut a slit in it,

Maestro, which one ye got !!

pikky please,

Marcus

61 wrote:
It seems incredible that some flaring tools are 250 quid!

But you get what you pay for, good quality professional kit will cost acordingly. You can get a mid-range vice mounted flaring set for under £100, this is what I've been using for the past six or seven years. The cheap handheld flaring kits are OK for occasional work, but be wary of breaking off the tips which sit inside the tube, they can be very fragile.
Under normal circumstances, I would recommend using copper-nickel alloy (cunifer) tube in preference to copper. This is less prone to work hardening, but the soft copper pipe will be kinder on your flaring toll, horses for courses,
Cheers,
Bill.

I've got a Sykes Pickavant flarer set (got two actually, must get rid of one!), I have to say that it produces consistent quality flares every time, whereas the cheap ones often require several goes or a lot of cleaning up afterwards.  I wouldn't go back!

I use one of the two-handed grip flaring tools, very easy to use and produces perfect flares, but it took a few practice goes.. or quite a lot of practice goes - on old cut-offs of pipe before I even went near a car. Not very expensive but great for the home garage.

796 wrote:
You really need a spanner with  6 sides,   [ flats ] and a cut oot in it, to get onto the nut,

these darn nuts are very soft, and so easily ..round off,   :-/ :-/

there are some purpose made ones oot there,.

but if ye got an old 6 sided  one, then cut a slit in it,

Maestro, which one ye got !!

pikky please,

Marcus

Yeah, the problem ones were the ones going into the Master Cylinder and the servo.  Both aluminum with a steel connector screwed in.  I had to unscrew several others which were screwing into steel (at calipers and 3 way joint) and they came out no probs.  Actually the ones from the brake cyclinders came out too and they are alu.  The master cylinder one is very awkward to get a spanner around and is thoroughly rounded off now.  I'm going to have to lift the MC and servo off in one piece and throw in the bin.

What are you after a picture of?  You didn't say..

Hi Maestro, here is a pic of wat i did to the M C unions,

after being fed up with then ..rounding off.. not just on mine, but others too,

just get a bolt, or threaded bar, drill a hole thru it, , and ..round the top off,

this so that the pipe will sael better,

and , use a copper or alloy washer as a seal,..locktite..the nut and clamp up,.

the bits are the female ones,

plus its a little higher, so can get at them easier,

you going to take the MC off, so might as well doo it whenst off

pikky of what ye ask,   the tool ye got to flare the tube,

regards Marcus

modded MC unions

Looks nice.  I suppose if you got a stud which was threaded at each end then you could do away with the loctite too and unscrew it either from the female bit or at the MC.  I don't think I have the equipment to drill through the center of a bolt/stud/threaded bar though - don't you need some kind of precision bench drill?

I think I'll just put a healthy dose of copperease on the threads for now any  maybe do something like that in the future.

heraldcoupe wrote:
A male to male adaptor is used in the main  brake line, mid-way along the chassis. One of these would do the same job of converting the master cylinder to a male fitting,
Cheers,
Bill.

I think GT6 M's main concern was probably moving the nut away from the MC so its easier to get a spanner on it.  

its noo legal, !!!

that mean you putting some on !!!!

yip I was wanting it as far away  as poss, but the F to F will doo,

as you will still be able to get a  better grip on it,

and also if you get a spanner with a slit in it, better still,.

may be a bit close to the monting bolt though,.

Marcus

Archived